- Science, not Fiction
- The failure rate in the predictions business is high. Soothsayers tend also to be dramatists, extrapolating boom or doom. It is just as well for the world that most of their guesses turn out to be wrong. A team of 32 researchers from Japanese manufacturer Mitsubishi have tried to cut out the guesswork.
- The Future of Work: On-line
- More than 2 million Europeans can be classed as "teleworkers". A new book gives a country-by-country assessment of the stateof teleworking in the EU.
- The Old Boy (and Girl) Network
- Anyone who cannot keep up with advances in telecommunications is missing out on an increasingly large part of modern life. Elderly and disabled people, who make up a fifth of Europe's population, could benefit greatly from developments such as videophones and Internet shopping - but many of them are going to need help.