- Socialising Mr Hyde
- Like most technologies, computers have a Jekyll and Hyde nature, in that people can use them for good or ill. As we move into the knowledge age, it is time to tame Mr Hyde, and recognise the virtues of modern information and communications technologies (ICTs).
- Testing the water on privatisation
- European local authorities responsible for water supply and sewage treatment are turning to the private sector to provide much-needed investment in ageing infrastructure. But is privatisation a good thing? This survey of 14 European countries paves the way for a study of best practices.
- No quick switch to renewables
- Renewable sources of energy contribute just one-twentieth of total energy in developed economies, and they are losing market share in key countries, reveals a new OECD study. They will not be able to replace fossil fuels in the short term.
- Tender assurances
- Boosting the performance of SMEs – and their valuable contribution to the economy – by opening up public procurement is an objective of the EU.Though progress is being made, governments need to streamline their purchasing procedures.