- Introducing the small revolution
- Nanotechnology is the new know-how of creating structures at the scale of individual atoms and molecules. It promises to transform our lives, yet its fundamental and crossdisciplinary character makes it hard to explain to the non-specialist. Here is an introduction to the subject that is imaginative and well-illustrated.
- Accidents – and disasters – will happen
- Natural disasters, such as forest fires, floods and droughts, hit Europe every year.Add to that the havoc caused by ‘man-made’accidents – oil spills, chemical leaks and the like – and the continent can appear to be a turbulent place. A new report looks into the effects after the dust has settled.
- Drumming up public support for science
- As the EU devotes more funds to research, sharing knowledge and contributing to public awareness of the benefits of R&D should become an important activity of Union-funded projects. The Commission’s Research Directorate-General has published a short guide to help project consortia improve their communications skills with society.