- Write first time
- At a recent Commission workshop on materials research, one session chairman – a UK professor – was particularly happy. He had just learnt his major Sixth Framework Programme (FP6) integrated project had been accepted.Asked what this meant to him personally, his comment was:“I won’t have to write another proposal for at least four years!”
- Safety in numbers
- The EU was founded to prevent war, and has always focused on keeping the peace.Now modern technology has made security a prohibitively expensive commodity for countries to assure for themselves. A coherent Europe-wide strategy that coordinates military and civilian research, plus a billion-euro boost in research spending, is called for.
- Running on vegetables
- The EU has set itself the target of increasing the proportion of biofuel used in transport from the current miniscule 0.3% to an ambitious 5.75% by 2010. But does Europe have enough agricultural land to produce the necessary crops upon which our motorcars can graze without incurring economic penalties?
- Signposting the road to green technology
- Sustainable development has long been a core aim of EU policy. The Commission believes that green technologies can help us make up lost ground and it has released an action plan to point the way.