Technologies for Information Management
Please note that the project factsheet will no longer be updated. All information relevant to the project can be found on the CORDIS factsheet . This is updated on a regular basis.
FOCUS-K3D - FOster the Comprehension, adoption and USe of Knowledge intensive technologies for coding and sharing 3D media content in consolidated and emerging application communities
Knowledge intensive technologies in analysis and production of 3D media
The aim of FOCUS-K3D is to foster the comprehension, adoption and use of knowledge intensive technologies for coding and sharing 3D media content in consolidated and emerging application communities by:
- Exploiting the scientific and technological advances in the representation of the semantics of 3D media to increase awareness of the new technologies for intelligent 3D content creation and management.
- Building user-driven scenarios to evaluate and adapt the technologies so far developed to the requirements of application environments.
- Fostering a shift of role of 3D content users, from passive consumers of technologies to active creators.
In FOCUS-K3D, specific application scenarios will be set up, and for each of them specific dissemination and take-up actions will be coordinated to demonstrate that semantic 3D content can answer a number of open problems in the content production and processing chain in those domains. In particular we will focus on:
- Medicine and Bioinformatics;
- Gaming and Simulation;
- CAD/CAE and Virtual Product Modelling;
- Archaeology and Cultural Heritage.
These domains have been chosen because:
- They are characterised by a massive use of 3D digital resources in both consolidated and emerging areas. In fact, all these fields face a huge amount of available 3D data;
- The use of 3D data is not only related to visual aspects and rendering processes but it involves also an adequate representation of domain knowledge to exploit and preserve both the expertise used for data creation and the information content carried;
- The practitioners are willing to learn new approaches to engage with the 3D data deluge they are experiencing and to speed up the achievement of new results.
In these application domains FOCUS K3D will address the needs of the different categories of 3D content providers and users, ranging from the professional creators to the talented amateurs. At present we have identified four user profiles:
- Professional developers of tools for 3D content creation and management (e.g. CAD systems, acquisition and reconstruction systems, reverse engineering, graphics programs);
- Creators of digital 3D content (mainly professionals, e.g. stylists, engineers, game designers, radiologists, archaeologists, bioinformaticians);
- Publishers/dealers of on-line 3D repositories(i.e., organisations that collect and distribute 3D models of real and virtual objects);
- Scientists not only in Computer Graphics and Vision but also in disciplines that are strongly based on 3D modelling and simulation of real and virtual worlds (e.g. mechanical engineering, environmental modelling, drug design).
- General project presentation ( 6.604KB )
- Flyer ( 1.454KB )
- Annual Report 2010 ( 2.300KB)
- Annual Report 200 9 ( 2.200KB)
- Annual Report 2008 ( 2.746KB)
- Newsletter 1 - August 2008 ( 1.009KB )
- Press release ( 310KB ) 12 March 2008, regarding the launch of the FOCUS-K3D project on 1 March 2008.
Events in connection with FOCUS-K3D
- Presentation ( 5.446KB ) at the Call-3 in Motion Event in Luxembourg on 13 December 2007.
Dr Bianca Falcidieno
, CNR-IMATI-GE, Italy
Email to the FOCUK-K3D coordinator
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Matematica Applicata e Technologie Informatiche (CNR-IMATI-GE), Genova, Italy (coordinator)
- Center for Research and Technology (CERETETH), Greece
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne – Vrlab (EPFL), Switzerland
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung (FRAUNHOFER), Germany
- Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique (INRIA), France
- Université de Genève (MIRALab), Switzerland
- SINTEF - Norwegian Foundation for Industrial and Technical Research (SINTEF), Norway
Utrecht University (UU), The Netherlands
- Administrative details
- FOCUS-K3D (ICT-2007-214993) is a Coordination Action (CA) of the European Union's 7th Framework Programme: Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) – Call 1.
- The project started on 1 March 2008, and will finish on 28 February 2010 (24 months).
There are 8 participants from 7 countries involved in the project, and the EC contribution is 1,2 million Euros (total cost: €1,9m).
This page is maintained by: INFSO.E2 Webmaster (email removed)