Policy Links: ICT in support of the Networked Enterprise
The Information Society promises potientially significant benefits throughout Europe's economy and society.
To ensure this promise is fulfilled, the Information Society Policy Link, a DG INFSO initiative launched in
2004, is linking Information Society projects with relevant European policies as diverse as environmental
protection, security, health etc. Information Society projects funded by the EU's programmes offer many benefits throughout Europe's economy and society. These benefits will not be realised completely, however, if the technologies are not linked closely to European policymaking in the relevant areas.
The Research activity stimulates links between research and other EU policies and regulation to ensure: (1) that the policy makers are fully aware of technology trends and developments, (2) that researchers do take into account the policy and regulartory environment to ensure most efficient take up of technology results to the benefit of European industrial competitiveness and societal needs.
Policy Planning and Legal Background
1.3 Legal Background
- Legislation in Force
Binding legal measures, including Directives, Regulations and Decisions such as Radio Spectrum
- Recommendations & Guidelines
Recommendations and guidelines have no binding force.
- Communications & Reports
Formal position of the European Commission ; no binding force.
- Commission Services Documents
Departmental working papers of an informative nature which do not require the approval of the full Commission ; no binding force.
- Public Consultations
Covering for example: proposed actions, policies, or initiatives of the Commission ; reactions to studies conducted by external consultants, etc.
1.4 Latest Policy Documents related to Enterprise Networking and RFID
- February 11th: Opinion 9/2011 of the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party on the revised Industry Proposal for a Privacy and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework for RFID Applications (73 KB)
- January 12th: Final Industry Proposal for a Privacy and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework for RFID Applications (178 KB)
- October 21th: German Industry Alternative Proposal on the RFID Privacy and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework (490 KB)
- July 14th: ENISA: Agency Opinion on the Industry Proposal re: a Privacy Impact Assessment for RFID (225 KB)
- July 13th: WP29 Opinion 5/2010 on the Industry Proposal for a Privacy and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework (PIA) for RFID Applications (87 KB)
- July 8th: Technical Guidelines RFID as Templates for Privacy Impact Assessment Framework(515 KB)
- March 31st: Industry Proposal Privacy and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework for RFID Applications - Draft(921 KB)
- June 18th: Commission Communication on the Internet of Things: An action plan for Europe(166 KB)
- May 12th: Commission Recommendation on the implementation of privacy and data protection principles in applications supported by RFID (143 KB)
- May 2nd: Communication on Promoting Data Protection by Privacy Enhancing Technology (PETs) (156 KB)
- April 28th: A strategy for a Secure Information Society - Dialogue, partnership and empowerment (96 KB)
- March 15th: Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) in Europe: steps towards a policy framework(148 KB)
Research Initiatives related to ICT FP7 Theme
- ICT Workprogam 2009-2010
- European Technology Platform
- >Future Internet
Innovation Initiatives related to ICT FP7 Theme
- >ICT PSP (CIP)
- Contribution of RFID-ROI-SME to the work on RFID PIA Framework - an example of a template