FP7: Human computer confluence (HC-CO)
WHAT IS Human Computer Confluence ?
(Extract from Work programme 2007-2008)
The initiative aims to investigate and demonstrate new possibililities emerging at the confluence between the human and technological realms. It will examine new modalities for individual and group perception, actions and experience in augmented, virtual spaces. Such virtual spaces would span the virtual reality continuum, also extending to purely synthetic but believable representation of massive, complex and dynamic data. Human-Computer confluence fosters inter-disciplinary research (such as Presence, neuroscience, machine learning and computer science) towards delivering unified experiences and inventing radically new forms of perception/action.
- On-line perception of and interaction with massive volumes of data : new methods to stimulate and use human sensory perception and cognition to interpret massive volumes of data in real time to enable assimilation, understanding and interaction with informational spaces. Research should find new ways to exploit human factors (sensory, perceptual and cognitive aspects), including the selection of the most effective sensory modalities, for data exploration.
- Unified experience, emerging from the unnoticeable transition from physical to augmented/virtual reality : new methods and concepts towards unobtrusive mixed or virtual reality environment (multi-modal displays, tracking systems, virtual representations…), and scenarios to support entirely unobtrusive interaction. Unobtrusiveness also applies to virtual representations, their dynamics, and the feedback received. Research could also explore how to extend unified experience to synthetic representations of massive volumes of data.
- New forms of perception and action: invent and demonstrate new forms of interaction with the real world, virtual models or abstract information by provoking a mapping from an artificial medium to appropriate sensory modalities or brain regions. This research should reinforce data perception and unified experience by augmenting the human interaction capabilities and awareness in virtual spaces.
Proposals should address at least two of the above topics.
All practical info: guide for applicants etc.
New methods and tools to act across real and virtual spaces n New means to present the massive amounts of data which future ICT systems will generate and collect to individuals and groups to allow them to explore and more fully understand the causes and consequences of phenomena n Improved ability to truly deliver presence experiences contributing both to progress in Presence research and enhancing the foundations for future applications of societal value.
- Read the REPORT ( 343KB) of the Consultation meeting on Human Computer Confluence (HC-CO) held on 16 Nov2007.
- BtH - Thematic Group 1: Pervasive Computing and Communication ( 126KB)
- A FET FP7 CALL 5INFORMATION EVENT was held on 24 June 2009 in Brussels
A specific session was dedicated to the Human Computer Confluence inititiave
presentations: general info on CALL 5 - presentations on HC-CO
Consultation meeting - 16th November 2007, Brussels.
The participants were requested to contribute to advance the 'HC-Confluence' theme, by providing more details and/or by taking a wider view and/or shifting the focus. Report
CEEDs(IP): The Collective Experience of Empathic Data Systems
Project home page
VERE (IP): Virtual Embodiment and Robotic Re-Embodiment
Project home page
- Call launched: 30 July 2009
- Deadline for submission of proposals : 26 October 2009 (17h Brussels local time) - Closed on7 October2009, 17h Brussels local time
- Evaluation: Winter 2009-2010
- Negotiations: Spring 2010
- Start of projects : Summer/Autumn 2010