FET Proactive info day on Pilot Flagships and other FET actions - 30 September 2010, Brussels
The Future Emerging Technologies (FET) scheme as part of the DG INFSO ICT programme held an Information Day on 30 September 2010 in Brussels (in conjunction with the ICT conference ) on the upcoming funding opportunities.
- Dedicated call on FET Flagship Preparatory Actions - closing date 2 December 2010.
- Coordination And Support Actions in Call 7 - closing date 18 January 2011.
- Continuous calls (e.g. top-up for international collaboration).
The aim of the Information Day was to provide up-to-date and first-hand information on the calls, including legal, financial and administrative modalities, to facilitate the formation of consortia for proposals and to promote synergies and collaborations across proposers.
1. FET Flagships:
Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Flagship Initiatives are proposed to be visionary, science-driven, large-scale research initiatives oriented towards a unifying goal and taking a multidisciplinary approach nucleated from ICT future and emerging technologies.
Building areas of established European excellence, these long-term programmes are envisaged to target ambitious objectives much beyond current FET Proactive Initiatives.
FET Flagships should generate a wave of technological innovation and economic exploitation, ideally in a variety of areas and sectors, and would carry an important societal impact.
FET Flagships are envisioned to run for at least 10 years, on a budget in the range of 100 M€ Euros per year and per initiative. The overarching nature and magnitude of these initiatives implies that they can only be realised through a federated effort.
Proposals for preparatory actions should reflect the ambition of these FET Flagship initiatives, specifically they should not be at the level of a project, or project idea, not at the level of a FET proactive initiative.
Following earlier events - the FET Flagships Workshop on 22 January 2010 and the Science / Policy forum on FET Flagships on 9 & 10 June 2010 - this information day will be an opportunity to present the latest thinking around FET Flagship Preparatory Actions, present the current state of proposals, network with potential partners, and also discuss practicalities of such projects.
2. Coordination and support actions
- Short duration actions to organise consultations of multi-disciplinary communities to formulate novel FET research topics, focussing on new emerging research areas.
- Actions to organise conferences and workshops which should foster dialogue between science, policy and society on the role and challenges of interdisciplinary ICT related long-term research.
- ERA-NET actions fostering the networking of future and emerging research activities conducted at national or regional level.
- Top-up proposals targeting the extension of ongoing FET projects with complementary research activities in which collaboration with non-EU research partners brings significant added value.
- Proposals that aim to capture the creative potential of young researchers by fostering their leadership and participation in collaborative research projects targeting first-ever and exploratory, multi-disciplinary research.
- Proposals fostering the participation of high-tech, research-intensive SMEs in a driving role in collaborative research projects targeting visionary, multi-disciplinary research.