Our project portfolio supported under the Seventh Framework Programme, ICT FP7 , (from Calls 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7) includes 90 research projects focusing on photonics and organic electronics technologies and receiving a total budget of more than 270 million EUR.
Projects are increasingly multidisciplinary, bridging the areas of physics, materials science, engineering, biology and chemistry. Their aim is to advance the state-of-the-art of:
- Photonic technologies (i.e. components and sub-systems such as transmitters and receivers, optical fibres, lasers, photonic sensors, biosensors, light sources, photonic integration circuits, etc), which are driven by specific application needs in strategic sectors where Europe is strong such as communications, manufacturing, healthcare and life sciences, photovoltaics, lighting and displays, and safety and security. The application driven research topics are supplemented by R&D on cross-cutting issues such as photonics integration technologies processes or nano-photonics
- Organic and large area electronics (OLAE) technology , device concepts, processes and materials, as well as the development and integration of components through new or improved systems and devices targeting wider applications. Examples include Organic Photovoltaics, Organic Light Emitting Diodes, smart labelling, packaging and textiles, etc
The main application areas covered by this portfolio of projects are shown in the figure below.
These research projects are complemented by:
- ERANET-Plus actions , providing additional EU financial support to facilitate joint calls for proposals between national and regional research programmes in areas of strategic interest for European photonics
- A number of coordination and support actions whose objective is to promote the wider adoption and deployment of photonic and OLAE technologies in innovative products, in particular by SMEs, the cooperation among regional innovation clusters and national technology platforms, dedicated outreach, education and training activities or international cooperation
- For the project portfolio supported under ICT FP7 in alphabetic orde r
- For the project portfolio supported under ICT FP7 by calls
- For brochures and other publications related to ICT FP7, see here
Our project portfolio supported under the Sixth Framework Programme, IST FP6 , (Calls for proposals 2, 3, 5, FET-Open and a joint call with NMP) addressing projects related to Nanoelectronics, Nanophotonics and Nanotechnologies included 49 research projects receiving a total budget of 133 million EUR.