Find the latest news on FET & Flagships intitiatives via:
FET FLAGSHIP PILOTS MIDTERM CONFERENCE
24-25 November 2011, Warsaw, Poland
Watch the video of the opening address of the FET Flagship Pilots Midterm Conference
delivered by Neelie Kroes Vice-President of the European Commission
responsible for the Digital Agenda
(Warsaw, 24 November 2011)
Visit the gallery
Pictures of Conference
Building FET Flagships - A world-class scientific endeavour
Conference booklet now available ( 5400kb )
FET Flagships: Evaluation Process
Presentation given by Wolfgang Boch, European Commission, Head of Unit FET-Proactive
- more given presentations will be made available soon on this web page -
Objectives | General info | Contacts | Context |
Conference & Exhibition Organization |
Conference dissemination | Committees | Agenda |
Participants | Venues & Directions-How to get there ? | Hotels
- European Commission, Directorate General Information Society and Media, Future and Emerging Technologies
- Warsaw University of Technology
- University of Warsaw
Politicians (EU, national, EP), national funding bodies and research policy makers from ICT and beyond (including FET Flagships National ICT Directors' Working Group), External Advisory Group, EC representatives, and key stakeholders from the scientific community associated to the Pilots, FLEET horizontal coordination action.
- Registration will be free and by invitation only. Pilots should propose names of attendees with a maximum number of 20 per pilot.
- In case you have any questions regarding registration, please address them to "FETFlagMid(AT)if.pw.edu.pl"
- FET-Flagship pilots will present their vision, objectives, and expected impact on science, technology and society.
- The EC will announce the content of their draft proposal regarding selection criteria and process and implementation of FET Flagships.
- Debates on the international perspective and the role of civil society in FET Flagships.
- Marketplace for bilateral discussions between Flagship Pilots and funding organizations.
Warsaw University of Technology and University of Warsaw.
Warsaw University of Technology
Plac Politechniki 1
University of Warsaw
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
FET Flagships are ambitious large-scale, science-driven, research initiatives that aim to achieve a visionary goal. The scientific advance should provide a strong and broad basis for future technological innovation and economic exploitation in a variety of areas, as well as novel benefits for society.
The FET Flagship Pilots were launched by Vice-President Neelie Kroes on May 4th, 2011 during the fet11 Conference in Budapest, to prepare the ground over the course of one year for a full fledged flagship intiative.
The mid-term point of this period is an excellent opportunity to interact with the EC, national funding agencies and other stakeholders and discuss in scientific and organizational terms. Pilots should provide their status on integration of ideas, communities and resources.
Following discussions between the Commission representatives, the Scientific Counsellor of the Polish Representation to the EU and the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, both universities in Warsaw have agreed at presidential level to support the organisation of this conference that will last for 2 days, 24th and 25th November 2011.
The event will host around 250 participants, including Polish governmental and academic representatives (Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, University of Warsaw and Warsaw University of Technology), scientists from the 6 Flagship Pilots (FuturICT, Graphene, Guardian Angels, HBP, ITFoM and RoboCom), the FLEET horizontal coordination action, Member States (including FET Flagships National ICT Directors Working Group) and the External Advisory Group of high-level scientists.
The event will be organized in the Main Building of the Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) for the first day and the University of Warsaw (UW) Main campus for the second day.
During the first day there will be exhibition stands for each of the FET Flagship pilots with demos and promotion material. The stands (3 x 3 metres sq. m) will ensure enough space for interactive presentations.
Additionally, on 25th November in the afternoon each Flagship pilot will be given a room located within the UW Main Campus of minimum 20 people for their bilateral marketplace meetings with the different stakeholders.
There will be a wireless Internet connection and the participants will be given details how to access it at registration. Besides, during the whole event, there will be an IT support desk.
The Participants will be requested to book hotel rooms on their own, however the organizer will pre-book several hotels to ensure best prize of the reservation. Some hotels offer special rates for the University.
Prof. Janusz Hołyst
Faculty of Physics
Warsaw University of Technology
Address: Koszykowa 75, 00-662 Warsaw, Poland
Prof. Andrzej Nowak
Centre for Complex Systems (CCS), Institute for Social Studies,
University of Warsaw
Address: Stawki 5/7, 00-183, Warsaw, Poland
José-Luis Fernández-Villacañas Martín
DG Information Society and Media
Future Emerging Technologies – Proactive
E-mail: contact form
E-mail to Conference Office:
- Each Flagship pilot will prepare promotion materials. These materials will be both used to prepare a conference booklet, as well as distributed to scientific journals and other mass media.
- Honorary Committee: Polish Ministry of Science (or representative), Rector of Warsaw University of Technology – Prof. Włodzimierz Kurnik, Rector of University of Warsaw – Prof. Katarzyna Chałasińska Macukow
- Steering/Organising Committee: EC: Wolfgang Boch, Francisco Ibanez Gallardo, José-Luis Fernández-Villacañas Martín, WUT: Prof. Janusz Hołyst, UW: Prof. Andrzej Nowak.
- Prof. Janusz Hołyst