Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website, which covers ICT in the 7th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
Technology platforms for cultural & arts creative expressions
To develop future generic platforms and tools for improving creative expression and facilitating access to inspirational material for artistic and cultural content creation. Applications include creative work in media production, cultural assets exploitation, artistic design, and contemporary arts and performance. Work will take advantage of, and develop technologies for virtual, augmented and mixed realities, new displays, and multi-sensory and multi-modal interfaces. Exploratory work will be positioned in the medium to long term with an emphasis on the discovery of novel ways to master traditional and new media, novel forms of creative and artistic expression, and novel forms of content, ultimately leading to a new «digital»expression.
Focus is on:
- Developing generic technology platforms and tools to assist the cultural and artistic community in its creative process in a simple, interactive and intuitive manner and without imposing restrictions.
- Benchmarking existing platforms, creating forums for the exchange of experience and networking centers of excellence where engineers and scientists work to support the artistic and cultural community,
- Involving the scientific and technical community active in the development of new media tools and not traditionally related to the cultural and artistic area, as well as independent artists, young talents, cultural designers and creators,
- Making available generic platforms and tools such as free / open source software and "open hardware" that can be easily used by artists, designers and creators for free and unlimited exploration.
- Eric Badiqué (DG Information Society)
Projects & Clusters
This theme was called once in 2002 and resulted in 6 projects having a combined funding support of ~9MÂ€.
The table below lists all the projects in this theme, the call they resulted from, a project reference and acronym. Project titles will be displayed if you hover over the project acronyms and links are provided to the CORDIS project-fact-sheet database.
Related IST projects
- Cultural Heritage Projects
- Essential Technologies Projects
(see in particular Art.Live, MEGA, VISIRE and EVENTS for projects related to art and culture)
News, events, documents and links
- Background on related EC activities
- Key documents
- Intersections of Art, Technology, Science & Culture - Links
- Fondation Langlois
- A Report on the Arts and Humanities in relation to Science and Technology (July 2001)
- US Department of Art and Technology
- Workshop report "Technology Platforms for Cultural and Artistic Creative Expression" (May 2001)