Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website , which covers ICT in the 7 th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
Our mission is to promote European excellence in:
- developing the components and systems of next generation ICT ,
- applying ICT in the areas of transport and the environment.
On this site we would like to inform you about our activities and present our units. Apart from up-to-date information on events and activities, you can also get a monthly update of activities related to this Directorate via our Newsletter "C-Through". To register or to send your comments please refer to the (email removed) .
Directorate-General Information Society and Media
Our units and their mission statements
- Unit G1: " Nanoelectronics and Photonics " (Dirk Beernaert, Head of Unit)
- To strengthen the competitiveness of European industry through research and innovation in the areas of nanoelectronics and photonics as the two enabling technologies of the Information Society.
- Unit G2: " Micro- and Nanosystems " (Augusto de Albuquerque, Head of Unit)
- To strengthen Europe's leadership and industrial competitiveness by progressing the European Research Area in 'integrated micro-/nanosystems and interfaces'as key ingredients of Ambient Intelligence Systems and Assistive Environments, and by moving RTD towards innovation.
- Unit G3: " Embedded Systems " (Kostas Glinos, Head of Unit)
- To be the focal point and integrator for research in embedded systems in Europe. The aim is to strengthen Europe's position in pervasive, networked and dependable embedded systems by integrating and extending the scientific and technological base, by promoting innovation and top-quality research and by increasing industrial capabilities.
- Unit G4: " ICT for Transport " (André Vits, Head of Unit)
- To contribute to the Lisbon Strategy through RTD in innovative technologies, systems and services for safer and more efficient transportation.
- Unit G5: " ICT for the Environment " (Márta Nagy-Rothengass, Head of Unit)
- To contribute to the areas of environmental management and disaster reduction, and ultimately, to the Lisbon Strategy.
- Unit G6: "Administration and Finance" (Ramón Haendler Mas, Head of Unit)
- To aim at excellence in terms of timeliness and diligence in the procedural and financial administration of the Directorate.
"ICT for Manufacturing"
The Directorate is co-ordinating activities related to ICT for Manufacturing. This involves
- Joint Calls with FP6 Priority 3 (see Strategic Objective "Products and services engineering 2010") and
- the joint operation of the European IMS Secretariat
A series of workshops aimed to prepare FP7. The reports are:
- 9 February 2005: " Intelligent & Networked Products " ( PDF , 54KB)
- 10 February 2005: " The Agile Wireless Manufacturing Plant " ( PDF , 677KB)
- 21 February 2005: " Strategies for the Design and Manufacturing of New Products " ( PDF , 133KB)
- 22 February 2005: " New Manufacturing Technologies for Miniaturised ICT " ( PDF , 421KB)
- 23 February 2005: " ICT to Support Management of IPR in New Industrial Collaborations " ( PDF , 346KB)
- 15 March 2005: Consolidation Report " ICT for Manufacturing " ( PDF , 281KB)
- 2-3 March 2006: " Perspectives on the Agile, Wireless Manufacturing Plant: Co-operating Objects for Information and Control " ( PDF , 230KB)
- 30-31 March 2006: " Technologies for Product Design and Virtualisation " ( PDF , 233KB)
"Women and the Information Society"
The Directorate is co-ordinating activities related to " Women and the Information Society ".