Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website , which covers ICT in the 7 th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
FET in the media
- Appearances in newspapers / media
- Success Stories in IST Results
- Awards / Prizes
- Press Releases
- Fet Presentations & Reports
FET "Complexity project"
in the news: "How Communication appears and evolves in societies of robots
Paper ? comments New Scientist - comments new telegraph - comments science now - comments Heise online
- Situated and Autonomic Communitation FET Proactive Initiave featured in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review ( PDF )
Integration and Experimentation of Legacy Mobile
- Multihop Ad Hoc Networks"
Eleonora Borgia, Marco Conti, and Franca Delmastro ( PDF , 109KB)
Design, Integration, and Experimentation of Cross-Layer Mobile
- Multihop Ad Hoc Networks
Eleonora Borgia, Marco Conti, and Franca Delmastro ( PDF , 115KB)
- CASCADAS : Componentware for Autonomic, Situation-aware Communications and Dynamically Adaptable Services; a FET SAC project in the PRESS
- ALMA a FET Open project covered on scientist.com: " Air guitaristsâ rock dreams come true "
- ICANN? We All Can : speech by Viviane Reding, EU Information Society Commissioner at World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) Tunis Nov. 2005
- FET project MOBILEMAN , the network without wires and infrastructures, in Italian Press
- Fet project HAGGLE has been covered in "La Repubblica: The Net withouth the internet"
- FACETS a FET " BIO-I3" project covered in "Le Monde"
- MOBIUS a FET " Global Computing " project on ERCIM news
- Showing PRESENCE at the world's ICT fair - CEBIT 2005
- CYBERHAND : "The technology to build the world's first bionic limbs is almost within our grasp": a paper from the FET project CYBERHAND has been published in New Scientist issue 2436 - February 2004, page 26
- ECOVISION : A FET " Neuroinformatics " project. Watch the TV News on the potential applications as driving assistance system of the results of the FET ECOVISION project : on Canalsur ( Zipped MPG , 6.5MB) - and Antena3 ( Zipped MPG , 6.1MB) in Spanish.
- FET projects on Euro news: Benogo ( download video ) - Touch-Hapsys
- Beyond the Horizon : FET project (coordination action) presented in ERCIM NEWS (January 2005)
- HYDRA: To see the public and media interest on the results of this FET project on self-assembling artefacts go to the HYDRA homepage , choose publications, than press.
5th QIPC workshop
( 2004) and FET activities in QIPC
IST Europe's newsroom article announcing the workshop ( PDF , 12KB) - A journalist was sent by IST Results to provide coverage of this event. He wrote an article on the workshop, FET project results and decisions taken at the special session ( PDF , 28KB) - Quantum cryptography and the Swiss SME "id Quantique" ( PDF , 21KB)
- Esprit BRA project PROMotion (1992-1995)at the origin of success of the KINEO-CAM company - more info ( PDF , 440KB)
- ERA Pilot QIST a FET QIPC project: Pointing the direction of future EU quantum information research
- OMNIPRES a FET Presence Research " project: Creating a better sense of âbeing thereâ virtually
- MYTHS a FET "Global Computing" project: Trust in Global Computing
- EC AGENTS a Fet " Complexity " project: When robots learn social skills
- BEYOND THE HORIZON a Fet Coordinatin Action : ICTs - the glue that binds future research
- ASAP a FET Open project : Embedded software made simpler yet more powerful
- BISON a FET Open project : Nature offers guidance on organising dynamic networks
- ADAPT a FET " Presence Research " project: BabyBot takes first steps
- POEMS a FET " Presence Research " project: "Virtual reality gets real"
- FLASH a FET Open project : Laser tech promises semiconductor gains
- PLANTS a FET Open project : New crop of technology reveals plant health
- MICRON a FET Open project : Mini robots to undertake major tasks?
- NACHIP a FET Open project : Researchers get neurons and silicon talking
- FLAGS a FET Global Computing project : " Building efficient global computing systems "
- POP a FET Open project : " From shared to distributed memory systems for applications "
- PICO-INSIDE a FET " Enano " project: " One step closer to atomic scale computing "
- CYBERHAND a Neuro-IT " project:: " Bionic fiction becomes science factâ¦ ", also covered on physorg.com
- AMOUSE a FET Neuro-IT " project:: Robo-rodent gets "touchy-feely"
- FISTERA , FET project: Foresight to forge strong ICT future for Europe
- AVISPA a FET project: "Automated analysis of security-sensitive protocols"
- ARTESIMIT a FET Neuro-IT " project: Coming to grips with robot learning
- CICADA a FET " Neuro-IT " project in the news - other CICADA publications - further on this webpage: "IST Results"
- PELOTE : A FET " Presence Research " project: IST results features: "Helping human and robot firefighters work as a team"
- Fet Proactive Initiative on Complex Systems : IST results features: " Complex systems, Complex science: meeting of minds "
Biology in ICTs - Online IST results features FET projects
- CICADA : A FET " Neuro-IT " project: "Imitating cricket perception electronically makes sense"
- LOCUST : A FET "" Neuro-IT " project: "A locustâs eye view to prevent car accidents"
- POETIC : A FET "" Neuro-IT " project: "Tomorrow's chips, naturally"
- BIBA : A FET "" Neuro-IT " project: "Building thinking robotics for the real world"
- PRESENCIA : A FET " Presence Research " project: "Thinking about moving? Let brain waves do the walking"
- HYDRA : A FET " Beyond Robotics " project: "Bio-inspired modules open new horizons for robotics"
- " Spin doctors prescribe semiconductor solutions "- based on info from FET project SPINOSA among other IST projects
- Cordis Thematic supplement on emerging technologies - September 2004 ( Zipped PDF , 2.6MB)
- The Disappearing Computer": Special Issue, March 2005- ACM digital library
- Report on 1st European conference on Complex Systems held in Torino (IT), Dec. 2004
- COGNIRON: presented the robot BIRON at the IST 2004 Conference , The Hague, Nov04 - robots learn "robotiquette rules so they can mix better with humans"
- Protolife: a startup company to exploit results from the FET project PACE on IST results web site
- WONDERWEB : FET project on IST results web site: " Laying the foundation for the next-generation Web "
IST Results covers
5th QIPC workshop
FET project results and decisions taken at the special session
, 28KB) -
Quantum cryptography and the Swiss SME "id Quantique"
- Alain Aspect (FET projects SCALA , ACQUIRE , ACQP ) wins " CNRS Medaille dâor 2005 ", covered in " sciences et avenir " and in " (email removed) "
- Marco Dorigo (coordinating the FET project SWARM-BOTS ) wins five-yearly prize for scientific research of FNRS (BE) - covered in "Le Soir" .
- Christian Joachim (coordinating the FET project Pico-Inside ) wins the 2005 Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology
- QUCOMM : EU Commissioner for Science and Research, Janez Potocnik awarded in Prague on the 2nd December 2004 this yearâs â¬1 million EU Descartes Prize for outstanding cross-border research to two pan-European teams, one of which was the IST FET project team QuComm - see also News on CORDIS
- Semantic Web : the " FET Open " project IBROW (Intelligent Knowledge Broker for the www) was credited by the W3C for its contribution to the development of the Ontology Web Language (OWL)". Pressrelease: in English , in French
IST FP5 project "
" published a book :
Complex Systems and Interdisciplinary Science - Vol. 2 :
LARGE SCALE STRUCTURE AND DYNAMICS OF COMPLEX NETWORKS; From Information Technology to Finance and Natural Science.
E dited by Guido Caldarelli (University of Rome "La Sapienze", Italy) & Alessandro Vespignani (Indiana University, USA)
- 2 publications on ETHICAL ASPECTS of ICT implants in the human body published by the European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies - European Commission
- MIRRORBOT a FET " LPS " project launches book : âBiomimetic Neural Learning for Intelligent Robotsâ
I3 Thematic network
- by Springer: " Inhabited Infomation Spaces: Living with your data " - D.N.Snowdon, E.F.Churchill & E.Frecon.
- by Trentham books: " Developing New Technologies for young Children " - J. Siraj-Blatchford
- SWARM-BOTS : A FET " Beyond Robotics " project. First Marie Curie Excellence Award assigned to the coordinator of the FET project SWARM-BOTS for his work on Ants and Robots . A paper co-authored by partners of the SWARM-BOTS project was awarded the " BEST PAPER AWARD " at the 8th Conference on Intelligence Autonomous Systems. Title of the awarded paper: "Hole Avoidance: Experiments in Coordinated Motion on Rough Terrain".
- POP: A FET project: "Performance Protability for OpenMP" ( PDF , 199KB)
- ECAGENTS : Embodied and Communicating Agents ( PDF )
- DELIS : Dynamically Evolving, Large Scale Information Systems ( PDF )
- EURON : European Robotics Network launched ( PDF )
The Fusion of Neuroscience and Robotics for Augmenting Human Capabilities
Neurobotics project also included in "Forum fur Wissenschaft Industrie & Wirtschaft": ' The Fusion of Neuroscience and Robotics for Augmenting Human Capabilities '
- COGNIRON : The Cognitive Robot Companion ( PDF )
- I-SWARM : Intelligent Small World Autonomous Robots for micro-manipulation ( PDF )
- PALCOM : Palpable Computing, a new perspective on Ambient Computing ( PDF )
Assessment of FP5 Nanotechnology Information Devices (NID) - NEW BROCHURE now available - order paper copy
- PDF , 600KB
FET Annual Activity Report 2005
- Statistics of IST FET web usage in 2005 PDF , 1.694KB
- Statistics of IST FET Web usage in 2005
- PDF , 22KB
Multimedia Presentation on FET in FP7
- Part 1: Introduction to FET in FP7 ( Part 1 , Part 2 , Part 3 )
- Part 2: ICT upstream themes - components ( Part 1 , Part 2 )
- Part 3: Communications, computing and intelligence - FET mechanisms ( Part 1 , Part 2 , Part 3 , Part 4 )
Each part is a zipped file including a pps PowerPoint show and embedded videos.
Tto play it correctly you should extract all files of the part you want to view to the same directory on your PC and launch the *.pps.
After opening the *.pps file, wait a moment until the embedded video starts playing.
Summary of the 10 FET Proactive Initiatives in FP6
- PDF , 532KB
Fet Open Impact Assessment
Report covering the period 1994-2004 ( Zipped PDF , 2302KB)
This report provides representative examples whose aim is to demonstrate the impact of FET-OPEN in a number of complementary dimensions. Indeed, this scheme proved to be particularly successful in: opening new possibilities, setting the agenda for future research programmes, providing/exploring alternative technology solutions for industry, and confirming the path-finding role that FET has in IST.
FET Trainee Reports
- Multidisciplinary Research in FET " - Fet trainee report ValÃ©rie Gayraud - Nov05 ( PDF,150KB )
Bi-annual FET Reports
- Total overview FP5 activities ( PDF )
- 1999 Activities
- 2000 Activities ( PDF )
- 2001 Activities
Five Year Assessment of IST Research and Technology Development (1999-2003)
Final report published (PDF,KB)