IST Call 7
This Action Line is now closed! - Deadline 17 October 2001
Excerpt from the IST Work Programme 2001
III.4 Information access, filtering, analysis and handling (IAF)
The World Wide Web is becoming a major vehicle for the distribution and delivery of multimedia content including video and audio, accessible from stationary (including domestic) and mobile platforms. It is, however, necessary to impose more semantic structure on Web content in order to facilitate, for example, resource and knowledge discovery, information filtering and intelligent browsing. It is, in short, necessary to make Web content machine understandable. Given the sheer size and dynamics of the Web this can only be achieved through highly automated procedures.
IST2001 - III.4.1 Semantic Web technologies
- To enable users to access, retrieve and filter information from the Web, relevant to their interests and needs, and matching their quality expectations. This requires new and advanced methods, models, tools and systems for services related to access, retrieval and filtering of Web-based content, in particular the development of new search systems and machines, in line with existing and emerging relevant standards. These services would typically be provided by intelligent agents.
- This Action Line focuses on content technologies that contribute to the creation and exploitation of the Semantic Web. It invites projects that develop, apply and benchmark these technologies in a Web context. They include:
- Methods and tools for coding and structuring digital content, for defining and declaring its semantics. These would typically employ XML, RDF and other techniques for semantic interoperability and reasoning such as ontologies for domain specific applications.
- Methods and tools for the derivation of semantic attributes of Web-based content (in particular video, audio and images) through, for example,. automatic feature detection, video segmentation and post-processing. This would facilitate multimedia indexing based on content analysis as well as automated categorization of Web resources.
- Semantics based tools for knowledge discovery and intelligent filtering and profiling such as information agents and specific query languages. Semantics based tools for collaborative filtering and knowledge sharing in specific or general user communities.
- Information visualisation: intelligent and visual interfaces which take advantage of semantic information structures to provide users with radical new ways to navigate and search naturally through unknown and complex information spaces.
- Types of Actions addressed
- Research and Development, Demonstration, Combined projects, Thematic Networks
- Links with WP2000
- New Action Line
- Projects selected
- CORES, ESPERONTO, INDICO, MONET, , SCHEMA, SCULPTEUR, SEWASIE, SPACEMANTIX, SPIRIT, SWAD-EUROPE, SWAP, WIDE, WISPER