Creating, Assessing and Rendering in Real Time of High Quality Audio-Visual Environments in MPEG-4 Context
- Project Abstract
- The CARROUSO project addresses the problem how to transfer sound fields, generated at a certain real or virtual space, to another usually remote located space. The system will have an enlarged listening area and will be more flexible in respect to the number and the configuration of loudspeakers. The activities concentrate on the development and implementation of key components for recording, transmission (including coding) and rendering. The transmission and coding will be based on MPEG and digital video broadcasting (DVB) technology.
The main objectives of the CARROUSO project are:
- 1) to specify, develop, implement and validate a new technology that enables to transfer a sound field, generated at a certain real or virtual space, to another usually remote located space, this with full interactive control of its perceptually relevant natural temporal and spatial properties, especially in combination with the transmission of visual data.
- 2) to specify, develop, implement and validate new modelling, recording, encoding, decoding and rendering techniques for audio signals enabling the aforementioned technology.
- 3) to build a real time demonstrator for the aforementioned technology.
- 4) to define and monitor performance levels of the technology in perceptual experiments using the aforementioned demonstrator.
- Contact point
- Name: Thomas SPORER
- Organisation: FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V.
AM EHRENBERG 8
- e-mail: (email removed)
- List of Participants
Participant Name Country FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V. D ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI GR ECOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FEDERALE DE LAUSANNE CH FRANCE TELECOM SA F FRIEDRICH-ALEXANDER UNIVERSITAET ERLANGEN - NURNBERG D INSTITUT DE RECHERCHE ET DE COORDINATION ACOUSTIQUE MUSIQUE - IRCAM F INSTITUT FUER RUNDFUNKTECHNIK GMBH D STUDER PROFESSIONAL AUDIO AG CH TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT DELFT NL THOMCAST SA F
- Start date
- 30 months