The Virtual Planet
- The Virtual Planet project aims at developing a world-wide leading product, the V-Planet Explorer, based on cutting-edge innovative Virtual Reality techniques, for browsing very high-resolution 3D geographic information in real-time on mainstream personal computers. The V-Planet explorer relates to the Digital Earth database as a Web browser relates to the Internet.
- The V-Planet product development will be iterative and in three stages, with end-user involvement all along. The consortium will select, for validation purpose, real-world cases proposed by end-users. The software architecture will be open and modular, allowing the development and integration of external components or plug-ins developed by third party developers. The SRTM database will be used for tuning, test and validation purposes on real cases.
- V-Planet responds to the dual challenge of coping with fast growing volumes of geo-referenced data and of giving Europe a lead in doing so.
- For whom?
- V-Planet will enable people, experts or ordinary citizens, to explore and interact with the vast amounts of natural and cultural information gathered about the Earth. The V-Planet explorer lends itself to applications in many areas where geo-referenced information is needed, e.g. telecommunications, mapping and GI, planning and construction, science and security, simulation and training, education and entertainment, etc.
- By whom?
- The consortium has the unique privilege of having early access to the SRTM Mission database and to very high-resolution city models captured with state-of-the-art airborne sensors. It includes top experts in a broad range of scientific domains including VR, GI, Information Technologies, Remote Sensing, Earth Observation. Interaction with NASA's Digital Earth initiative is foreseen.
Participant Name Country CS SYSTEMES D'INFORMATION F CENTRE NATIONAL D'ETUDES SPATIALES C N E S CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE I DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FUER LUFT- UND RAUMFAHRT E.V. D INSTITUT GEOGRAPHIQUE NATIONAL F SOCIETA CONSORTILE A RESPONSABILITA LIMITATA CENTRO DI RICERCA, SVILUPPO E STUDI SUPERIORI IN SARDEGNA I
- The project started 9/2001 and will take 36 months.