RTD Activities in Interactive Electronic Publishing
Identified key areas for RTD development in the 5th Framework Programme are divided into the following three broad categories:
- Lifestyle Publishing
- Covers all aspects of 'consumer' publishing including news, entertainment, games, communities, special interest groups and information for the consumer.
- Corporate Publishing
- Covers all aspects of business-to-business publishing including business and technical documentation ('techdoc'), catalogues, marketing publications, and business information services.
- Knowledge Publishing
- Covers all aspects of knowledge generation and dissemination including the broad area of scientific, technical and medical publishing ('STM'), information repositories such as museum collections and databases, geographic information and educational publishing aimed at the emerging generation of technically literate users aged between 7 and 12 years old ( the 'K7-K12s')
- Content Generation
Covers all aspects of the capture, authoring, creation, processing, combination (cross-media) and packaging of content, including the synthesis of new rich digital content.
Linked IEP projects: I-TV , VISIONS , MESH , CHARISMATIC , PAPERLESS , HYPERFILM , ENRICH , TIPS , MIGRATOR 2000 , CONTESSA , V-MAN , WORLDSTUDIO , GATE , EDUCAT
- Digital Content Management
Covers all aspects of the storage, retrieval, maintenance, tracking, interoperability and management of content in digital and hybrid analogue-digital forms, including copyright management.
Linked IEP projects: ON RADIO , WEDELMUSIC , B2B-ECOM , CIWOS , FASTER , VIZARD , ADVISOR , G-FORS , KEPT , OPENDRAMA , CULTOS , MELIES
- Transaction and customer management
Covers all aspects of creation and management of virtual communities, users behaviour tracking and measurement systems and privacy issues.
Linked IEP projects: C-WEB , MESH , IRAIA
- Distribution and delivery
Cover all aspects of intelligent delivery mechanisms, delivery informed authoring and production tools to cope with news developments and facilities in mobility, broadband and wireless networks.
Linked IEP projects: HYPERGEO , CONTESSA , MOVIES , GIMODIG
- Usage Environments
Cover all aspects of the user's environment, ranging from simple 'viewing', manipulation of the information by users, to varying degrees of user interaction with content, authors, publishers, communities and other users. In particular, the personalization of content for the user is a key area of interest.
Linked IEP projects: HYPERGEO , PEACH , OPELIX , PSI 3 , MOVIES , BROADMAP
- Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship Management
Covers all aspects of marketing communications, ranging from 'above-the-line' advertising, 'below-the-line direct marketing, to 'through-the-line' integrated communications enabled by interactive digital media. Evolving business models are a key focus of interest in this area, given that advertising, promotion and sponsorship are inextricably linked to the funding for the development, packaging and distribution of many forms of content.
Linked IEP projects: ACTIVE-AD , TEDIP
- Overall integration and process management
Cover all aspects of interactive and/or collaborative authoring system, new workflow procedures for handling, authoring, editing and delivering to multiple platforms, including interactive TV, broadband Internet appliances, mobile Internet devices and e-books.
Linked IEP projects: I-TV , WORLDSTUDIO
These actions should cover monitoring and periodic review of developments in technologies and standards, validation, usability, take-up and impact assessment of the application projects, and concertation and dissemination activities which ensure that the lessons learned are communicated effectively to all those involved in interactive electronic publishing. In particular, these actions are designed to provide greater support to Small and Medium size Enterprises (SME's), since they are likely to derive significant commercial benefit in terms of enhanced learning and awareness of the key issues involved in the RTD programme, irrespective of whether they are involved in application projects.
Linked IEP projects: EPIFOCAL , ETEMII , GETIS , VNET 5 , RADICAL , GINIE , CHIPS , INFORM