Welcome to Microelectronics - Optoelectronics
Mission of unit E6
Unit E6 of the Directorate General Information Society aims contribute to the IST programme by stimulating research and development, enhancing applicability and accelerating take-up of micro- and opto- electronics technologies in Europe, as key enablers of economic growth and societal welfare in the information technology.
Objectives for Micro- and Optoelectronics in FP5 (from the IST Workprogramme 2002)
The objectives set aim to:
- improve the productivity of microelectronics design and test
- push further miniaturisation
- reduce power consumption
- enhance performance and cost effectiveness of micro- and opto-electronic devices and technologies
- integrate more system functions on chips and packages.
The work is of a longer-term nature, focussing on critical technological issues such as:
- re-use of Intellectual Property (IP) blocks,
- new solutions for nano-CMOS and
- opto-electronic components for all optical networks.
Follow this link to find out more about the action lines covered in the Workprogramme 2002