Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website, which covers ICT in the 7th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
3DTV - Integrated Three-Dimensional Television - Capture, Transmission, and Display
A network of excellence for integration of European researchers have worked on all technical aspects of 3DTV, including capture, representation, transmission and display.
A visible, well coordinated and effective European research network of about 200 contributors from 19 institutions, working on different yet complementary aspects of 3DTV for achieving full scale three-dimensional visual signal handling capabilities, has been operational for a long time. The network and its technical throughput have already gained worldwide visibility.
The project covered all aspects of 3DTV research. Many novel techniques emerged on different technical components of 3D visual science.
Established its governance structure and bodies; held many meetings; aligned its researchers' interests and partners' research facilities; completed many researcher exchanges; completed extensive surveys and technical reports on all aspects of 3DTV; published more than 160 papers related to its technical scope; prepared a graduate 3DTV course; conducted research on all technical aspects of 3DTV; organised the first 3DTV-CON ? a conference focusing on all aspects of 3DTV; prepared an end-to-end multi-view 3DTV video streamer demo.
- An Assessment of 3DTV Technologies (PDF, 211KB). This paper was first presented at the 2006 NAB Broadcast Engineering Conference, 26 April 2006, Las Vegas, USA.
- 3DTV edited book, Three-Dimensional Television - Capture, Transmission, Display (available by September 2007). The book is edited by H.M. Ozaktas and L. Onural and will be published by Springer in Signals and Communication Technology series. Flyer and order form (PDF, 187KB)
- FUTURIS/EuroNews (28 August 2008): Digital technology at a cinema near you (video 08:22)
- Project Overview (PDF, 195KB)
- Annual Report 2008 (PDF, 638KB)
- Annual Report 2007 (PDF, 566KB)
- Annual Report 2006 (PDF, 803KB)
- Annual Report 2005 (PDF, 222KB)
- Discovery Channel article: 3D TV closer than you think (21 September 2006)
- Bi-tech.net article: 3D TV in three years? (20 September 2006)
- BBC News article: 3D TV 'could be three years away' (19 September 2006)
- AZOM.COM article: 3D Television, The Next Big Thing (16 September 2006)
- IST Results article: 3D television edges closer to reality (14 September 2006) (PDF, 128KB)
- IST Results News in Brief: Exploring the 3D TV future (25 October 2006)
- Poster (ZIP, 745KB)
- 3DTV Website
- The 48-month project started on 1 September 2004 and ended on 31 August 2008.
- The EC contribution to the project activities has been of 6.15 million Euros.
List of Participants
- Bilkent Üniversitesi, Turkey
- Bremer Institut für angewandte Strahltechnik GmbH, Germany
- Central Laboratory of Optical Storage and Processing of Information to Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Bulgaria
- De Montfort University, United Kingdom
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V., Germany
- FogScreen Oy, Finland
- Technische Universitaet Ilmenau, Germany
- Tampere University of Technology, Finland
- Centre For Research and Technology Hellas, Greece
- Koç University, Turkey
- Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Momentum Bilgisayar Yaz?l?m Dan??manl?k Ticaret A.?., Turkey
- Max-Planck Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., represented by MPII, Germany
- University of West Bohemia in Plzen, Czech Republic
- Universitaet Hannover, Germany
- Technische Universitaet Berlin, Germany
- Eberhard-Karls-Universitaet Tübingen, Germany
- The University Court of the University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- Yo?urt Bilgisayar Teknolojileri Tic. Ltd. ?ti., Turkey
- Project Coordinator: Levent Onural
- Email: Levent Onural
- Project Manager: Selami Atle
- Email: Selami Atle