Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website , which covers ICT in the 7 th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
Superpeer Semantic Search Engine
ALVIS has conducted research in the design, use and interoperability of topic-specific search engines with the goal of developing an open source prototype of a distributed, semantic-based search engine.
- Contribution to standards (e.g. Z39.50).
- Making other agencies open to supportive policies for Open Source Search.
- Opening up a distributed search infrastructure built on automatic technology for handling semantics, with the intention of ensuring the health of future semantic-based services in Europe.
- Bringing together context-aware search engine research across Europe.
The Open source architecture for a search system that allows semantic enrichment of documents with integrated tools for text and topic analysis.
Peer-to-peer infrastructure for full-text document retrieval.
- Opportunities from Open Source Search (August 2005) ( PDF , 141KB)
- ALVIS Document Architecture (February 2005) ( PDF , 198KB)
The peer-to-peer system has been tested and demonstrations have been developed on
- Chinese language material
- the Wikipedia
- news on search engines
- Executive Summery for 2005 (March 2006) ( PDF , 104KB)
- Annual Report 2006 ( PDF , 252KB)
- Annual Report 2005 ( PDF , 212KB)
- Poster ( PDF , 1.204KB)
- ALVIS (IST-FP6-002068) was a STREP project under the EU 6th Framework programme.
- The project started on 1 January 2004 and finished on 31 December 2006.
- The overall budget was of 3.69 million euros, with a project funding of 2.26 million euros.
- There have been involved ten partners from seven European countries and from China. The Coordinator Site: Helsinki University of Technology.
List of participants
- Helsinki Institute for Information Technology, Finland.
- Unite Mathematique, Informatique et Genome, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Distributed Information Systems Lab , Switzerland.
- Lund University, Department of Information Technology, Sweden.
- Technical University of Denmark, Center of Knowledge Technology.
- Index Data Aps, Denmark.
- Exalead SA, France.
- Universite Paris-Nord, Laboratoire d'Informatique, France.
- ALMA Bioinformatica, Spain.
- Jozef Stefan Institute, Department of Intelligent Systems and Department of Knowledge Technologies, Slovenia.
- Tsinghua University, Department of Computer Science and Technology, China.
Administrative contact: (email removed)
Technical contact: (email removed)
Events in connection with ALVIS
European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (ECDL 2006), 17-22 September 2006, in Alicante, Spain. Demonstration: ' ALVIS - Superpeer Semantic Search Engine '
International Workshop on Intelligent Information Access ( IIIA-2006 ), 6-8 July, 2006 in Helsinki, Finland.