Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website , which covers ICT in the 7 th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
FP7 in Motion: Cognitive Systems, Interaction, Robotics, Digital Libraries and Content
Information days, 24-25 January 2007, Jean Monnet building, Luxembourg
This event addressed researchers preparing project proposals under FP7, theme 'Information and communication technologies' (ICT). Specifically, the information days in Luxembourg focused on two research challenges in the ICT Work Programme 2007-08:
- Challenge 2: Cognitive Systems, Interaction, Robotics
- Challenge 4, Objective 1: Digital Libraries and Technology-enhanced Learning
- Challenge 4, Objective 2: Intelligent Content and Semantics
The information days in Luxembourg aimed at helping participants to build consensus on trends and challenges in future research, to better understand the work programme and success criteria for proposals, to facilitate sharing of ideas and experiences, and to find partners for project consortia.
This two-day event offered three plenary sessions aiming at providing participants with information on the research challenges in the work programme. A number of workshops on specific topics gave participants the opportunity to make contributions. Participants also had the possibility to present posters.
The overall information and program is available on DG Information Society and Media: Directorate 'Content' website .
Agenda – Intelligent Content and Semantics
Here you will find some details of the event that related to the Challenge 4, Objective 2: Intelligent Content and Semantics, including the presentations.
The 'FP7 in Motion' event opened in the afternoon on 24 January with a number of parallel sessions . The second day included a plenary session with invited speakers in the morning, and continued in the afternoon with the parallel sessions. The sessions were popular and were already overbooked well in advance of the day. EC officers were available both days, to discuss project ideas and offer preliminary feedback in the Proposals Clinic . Posters were presented throughout the two days.
- Agenda unit E2 – 'Content and Knowledge ' ( PDF, 38KB )
- List of registered participants – Research challenge 4, Objective 2 ( PDF , 52KB)
- Networks of Excellence
The workshop included presentations made by the coordinators of six FP6 NoEs, with the objective to present the results so far, as well as ongoing work. They discussed their experience with the NoE instrument as a means to stimulate quality research, to foster training and spread knowledge, and to promote the convergence of research agendas within and between research communities. The session included an open discussion, and Q&A section.
The workshop was chaired by
Mr Albert Gauthier
, Scientific Project Officer, INFSO/E2 'Content and Knowledge'.
Find here the list of speakers and their presentations:
Prof. Nozha Boujemaa and Prof. Andreas Rauber
MUSCLE: Multimedia Understanding through Semantics, Computation and Learning ( PDF, 187KB )
Prof. Dieter Fensel
KNOWLEDGE WEB ( PDF, 100KB )
Prof. François Bry
REWERSE: Reasoning on the Web with Rules and Semantics ( PDF, 160KB )
Prof. Ebroul Izquierdo
K-SPACE: Knowledge Space of Shared Technology and Integrative Research to Bridge the Semantic Gap ( PDF, 557KB )
Dr Bianca Falcidieno
AIM@SHAPE: Advanced and Innovative Models And Tools for the development of Semantic based systems for Handling, Acquiring, and Processing knowledge Embeded inmultidimensional digital objects ( PDF, 894KB )
Prof. Levent Onural
3DTV NoE ( PDF, 338KB )
- Prof. Nozha Boujemaa and Prof. Andreas Rauber
- Multimedia Indexing & Retrieval
- This workshop included presentations made by the coordinators of newly started projects, resulting from the FP6 call on Audiovisual Search Engines. They presented their main objectives and expected innovations. The presentations were followed by Q&A sections. The session finished with an open discussion on the next level of challenge under FP7, and the role of existing and future coordination actions in the field.
- The workshop was chaired by Mr Werner Janusch , Scientific Project Officer, INFSO/E2 'Content and Knowledge'.
Find here the list of speakers and their presentations:
Prof. Ricardo Baeza-Yates
SEMEDIA: Search Environments for Media ( PDF, 3.627KB )
Dr Mark Sanderson
TRIPOD: Automatic image caption creation ( PDF, 44KB )
Dr Oliver Schreer
RUSHES: Retrieval of mUltimedia Semantic units for enHanced rEuSability ( PDF, 350KB )
Dr Nozha Boujemaa
VITALAS: Video & Image Indexing and Retrieval in the Large Scale ( PDF, 99KB )
Prof. Arnold Smeulders
VIDI-VIDEO ( PDF, 687KB )
Dr Francesco Nucci
PHAROS: Platform for searcH of Audio-visual Resources across Online Spaces ( PDF, 1.065KB )
Prof. Dimitrios Tzovaras
VICTORY: Audio-Visual ConTent Search and Retrieval in a Distributed Peer-to-Peer Repository ( PDF, 213KB )
Dr Fausto Rabitti
SAPIR: Search in Audio Visual using P2P-IR ( PDF, 1.212KB )
Mr Jean-Charles Point and Dr Nozha Boujemaa
CHORUS: CA Audio-Visula Search Engines ( PDF, 126KB )
- DIVAS: Direct Video & Audio Content Search Engine ( PDF, 100KB )
- Prof. Ricardo Baeza-Yates
- Plenary Session: Challenge 4 – Objective 2: Intelligent Content and Semantics
- The plenary session was opened by Mr Horst Forster , Director, INFSO/E 'Digital Content and Cognitive Systems', and chaired by Mr Roberto Cencioni , Head of Unit, INFSO/E2 'Content and Knowledge', who gave a presentation on the Overview of 2007-2008 workprogramme ( PDF , 176KB)
- Find here the list of invited speakers and their presentations:
- Co-ordination and support actions
- This workshop included discussion of cross-cutting co-ordination and support activities detailed in the workprogramme, and of possible proposals and partnerships.
- This interactive session was chaired by Mr Roberto Cencioni , Head of Unit, INFSO/E2 'Content and Knowledge', who gave a presentation on the Coordination & Support Actions within 'Intelligent Content & Semantics' ( PDF, 68KB )
- 'Skills Marketplace'
The delegates briefly presented their ideas and skills, in order to identify potential partners.
This was also a very well-received session and the room was filled to capacity.
- The session was chaired by Mr Philippe Van Avermaet, Scientific Project Officer, INFSO/E2 'Content and Knowledge'.
Proposals Clinic (24 and 25 January)
Participants were invited to submit, prior to the event, a brief outline of their proposal. During the FP7 in Motion: Proposals Clinic, EC staff was available to discuss project ideas, and offer preliminary feedback on their relevance with respect to the workprogramme, and the first call for proposals.
Preparation and Submission of Proposals
Applications for funding of research projects can now be submitted under ICT Call 1 , published on 22 December 2006. Closing date of the call is 8 May 2007.
We invite you to submit a brief outline of your proposal by e-mail, in order to get preliminary feedback on its perceived relevance from EC staff, within a few working days. Please find further information on the dedicated Call 1 page: 'Content and Knowledge'