Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website , which covers ICT in the 7 th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
VIKEF - Virtual Information and Knowledge Environment Framework
Making the Semantic Web Fly
VIKEF has been dedicated to advanced semantic-enabled support for Information, Content and Knowledge (ICK) production, acquisition, processing, annotation, sharing and use by empowering information and knowledge environments for scientific and business communities.
VIKEF's results provided outstanding value for the synergetic integration of multiple research efforts (coming from inside and outside the Consortium) aimed at contributing to ensure the European leadership in the field of Semantic-based Knowledge Systems.
In this sense, especially the "horizontal" integration dimension of the VIKEF Framework provided a powerful set of structuring elements enabling, facilitating and ultimately boosting further research and development of technological components, tools and complete application solutions for multiple domains.
Due to the background of the Consortium, VIKEF also provided a solid bridge to enhance links between member-states efforts and EU RTD Policy. By mobilizing the industrial and research community on a European scale, VIKEF also contributed to enable the development of the European Research Area (ERA) in IST.
VIKEF worked on bridging the gap between the partly implicit knowledge and information conveyed in scientific and business content resources (e.g. text, speech, images) and the explicit representation of knowledge required for a targeted and effective access, dissemination, sharing, use, and annotation of ICK resources by scientific and business communities and their information and knowledge-based work processes.
The architecture and software development environment being created by this FP6 funded project lead to semantic services and knowledge management applications to help fair and conference organisers' better match their events with current market and research trends - providing an important competitive boost to users in a fast-growing but difficult-to-navigate sector.
In this sense, VIKEF especially addressed the trade fairs and scientific congress participants - as validation scenarios - with the aim to better support and enhance relationships build-up with as many people of interest to them as possible, while at the same time, providing them with technological tools to help them deciding exactly who to meet among thousands of speakers and exhibitors related to a particular event. A new semantic Web based set of services solution will help them pick and choose.
Prototypes have been developed to demonstrate the semantic architecture and software of VIKEF.
To build the VIKEF framework, a number of innovative components and technologies have been developed and integrated. To collect and describe these technologies and to raise awareness for the solutions developed in VIKEF a technology catalogue has been produced. The VIKEF Technology Catalogue (VTC) also points out possible application sectors for each of the technologies, in order to foster application of the VIKEF technologies outside the VIKEF project.
- VIKEF Technology Catalogue (January 2007) ( PDF , 2.237KB)
Have a look into the overview presentation ( PPT , 8.944KB).
- Poster: Innovative Business Cases ( PDF , 2.388KB)
- R&D Highlights:
- IST Results article : Making friends and influencing people made easier by talking semantics (3 February 2006) ( PDF , 115KB)
- ZDNet.com article : Semantic Web tools to make friends (6 February 2006)
- ZDNet.de article : VIKEF: Auf dem Web zum semantischen Web (in German) (6 July 2006)
- Annual Report 2006 ( PDF , 298KB)
- Annual Report 2005 ( PDF , 403KB)
- Annual Report 2004 ( PDF , 107KB)
- Flyer ( PDF , 692KB)
- Overview Presentation ( PPT , 161KB) and Poster ( PDF , 281KB)
- VIKEF website
The market for the VIKEF's architecture and tools is vast. But it is not the only one. In fact, the project partners are carrying out parallel research to use semantic technologies for e-learning and to enhance information exchange between different actors in different industrial fields.
- VIKEF (IST- 2002-507173) is an Integrated Project under the EU 6th Framework Programme, Thematic Priority 2 (Information Society Technologies). VIKEF addresses the strategic objective "Semantic Based Knowledge Systems".
- VIKEF Project started on 1 April 2004 and finished on 31 March 2007.
- The overall budget is 10.231.000 euros with a total grant from the European Commission of 5.560.000 euros.
List of Participants
14 partners from 8 European countries have been involved the project.
- Project Coordinator - INMARK, Estudios y Estrategias, Spain
- Fraunhofer-IPSI, Germany
- XEROX, France
- Instituto Trentino di Cultura (ITC-irst), Italy
- Telefónica I+D, Spain
- University of Trento, Italy
- Universitá degli Studi di Bari, Italy
- University of Sheffield, UK
- The National Microelectronics Applications Centre, Ireland
- Finebrain.com AG, Switzerland
- Cyberlab.Org, Norway
- CPO Hanser, Germany
- Fundación Semana Verde de Galicia, Spain
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Richerche/ILC, Italy
- Project Co-ordinator: Mr. Rubén Riestra
- INMARK, Estudios y Estrategias SA
- Rafael Calvo 9
- 28010 Madrid, Spain
- Tel: +34 91 4480203
- Fax: +34 91 5940578
- Email: (email removed)
- R&D Manager: Dr. Claudia Niederée
- Dolivostr. 15
- D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
- Tel: +49 6151 869831
- Fax: +49 6151 869989
- Email: (email removed)
Events in connection with VIKEF
- IST Event 2006 – The VIKEF project was represented in the Exhibition (Novel solutions for business and industry) with the stand: Knowledge Value Chain Solution , 21-23 November 2006, Helsinki, Finland. The VIKEF stand showed the VIKEF framework in operation.
- BOEMIE 2006 – VIKEF presented the poster: Ontology Learning in Multimedia Information Extraction from Product Catalogues ( PDF , 338KB) at this workshop on Ontology Evolution and Multimedia Information Extraction, 6 October 2006, Podebrady, Czech Republic.
- ISMIS 2006 - The 16th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 27-29 September, Bari, Italy. The VIKEF project presented the paper: An Intelligent Personalized Service for Conference Participants ( PDF , 149KB)
Mastering the Gap: From Information Extraction to Semantic Representation - Workshop held in the context of the 3rd European Semantic Web Conference 2006, 11-14 June 2006, Budva, Montenegro
The Workshop focuses on the interface between the information extracted from content objects and the semantic layer in which this information is explicitly represented in the form of ontologies and their instances. The Workshop will provide an opportunity for discussing adequate methods, processes (pipelines) and representation formats for the annotation process. The VIKEF project presented the papers: