Find the most recent information on EU Funding activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) by visiting our ICT in FP7 website, which covers ICT in the 7th Framework Programme (FP7) 2007 - 2013.
“To implement and progress the European Research Area in Micro- and Nanosystems, Integration (MNI) , in the context of the objectives set by the recent European Councils and in the context of implementing the ‘ambient intelligent landscape’; and enhance the economic potential of related European industry. To be a recognised knowledge pool demonstrating leadership in MNI.”
‘Small tech industry’ and ‘Displays’ are fast growing markets and more importantly influence the competitiveness of much bigger markets . They enable the creation of enhanced or totally new products in all application sectors. Smaller, increased performance, more reliable, lower cost, more portable, networked, intelligent and emotional products and interfaces are an essential element to implement a user friendly ‘ambient intelligent’ landscape. These products will support applications that can totally change the economic and social context we work and live in and generate future business.
Europe need to exploit faster and more globally; needs to better co-ordinate and enhance RTD efforts. In Micro and nanosystems a shift towards more applied thinking to stimulate innovation, take-up, education and entrepreneurship is required. While for the emerging fields of Micro @ Nano-Technology and large area integration, research needs to explore the application potential and develop the very important nano to macro interfaces. In displays, Europe has to prioritise and co-ordinate its RTD efforts on these technologies with a high exploitation capability in Europe and, more importantly, Europe should maintain leadership in the system integration of this important interface between people and machines.
- Micro- & nanosystems RTD
- To concentrate on applied multidisciplinary research guided by emerging visionary application objectives:
- Towards very high levels of miniaturisation and integration;
- Incorporating sensing and actuating devices in a wide range of materials;
- Multidisciplinary RTD in applying multi-process interconnects from various disciplines such as biology and electronics;
- Improving the quality, (multi-)functionality, performance and cost effectiveness of “small & smart” products.
- Micro @ Nano-Technology and large area system integration RTD
- To explore the application potential and the nano-to-macro interfacing including integration technologies.
- System-level packaging and interconnect RTD
- To increase the density and performance of these technologies for all "small tech" applications.
- Display technologies RTD
- To establish and facilitate industrial exploitation of polymer electronics and polymer display technologies, in particular for flexible and for affordable large-size applications.
- To develop display solutions for very small / high information content applications using a system oriented approach.
- European Research Area (ERA) activities
- aiming to co-ordinate and integrate results of micro- and nanosystem and display developments at EU or national level towards industrial exploitation. RTD activities will be complemented by take-up and demonstrations and other supporting activities including international co-operation, transfer, the stimulation of innovation, education and related policies.
RTD activities will be implemented through the 6th Framework, through integrating MNI research efforts on a European scale and by linking with Member State activities (e.g. EURIMUS, MINATEC,...). 5th Framework activities will be leveraged through results dissemination actions. RTD activities will be complemented by co-operation and co-ordination activities and the stimulation of innovation and transfer.