Telematics for Libraries Distance Learning
projects, resources and research
Updated: 08 MARCH 2000
Projects under Telematics for Libraries
- BIBDEL - Libraries without Walls: the delivery of Library Services to Distant Users. The Conference Library Without Walls 2, 17-20 September 1997, built on the outcomes of the project.
- CHILIAS - Children in Libraries: improving multimedia virtual library access and information skills
- DERAL - Distance Education in Rural Areas via Libraries
- DEDICATE - Distance Education Information Courses through Networks
- EDUCATE - End-user Courses in Information Access through Communication Technology
- ELVIL - The European Legislative Virtual Library
- HYPERLIB - Hypertext Interfaces to Library Information Systems
- LIBERATION - Libraries: Electronic Remote Access to Information over Networks
- LISTED - Library Integrated System for Telematics-based Education
- MURIEL - Multimedia Remote Interactive Electronic Documents
- PLAIL - Public Libraries and Independent Learners
- VERITY - Virtual and electronic sources for information skills training
Other related projects
- BROADNET - Coordinated by the University of Wolverhampton, this UK project with EU regional support aims at providing Web-based training and information services for SMEs in the West Midlands
- DEMOS- Distance Education and Tutoring in Heterogeneous Telematics EnvirOnments (Telematics Applications Programme - Education and Training Sector).
- DOMITEL- DOMestic Discussive Telematic Education and Learning (Telematics Applications Programme - Education and Training Sector).
- EduLib - Educational Development for Higher Education Library Staff
- ELINOR - Electronic Library INformation Online Retrieval
- NetLinkS- A n eLib Training and Awareness project, supported by the Joint Information Systems Committee of the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
Related EC initiatives
- Librarian Training in Information and Communication Technologies - This study provides information on planning education and training for increased use of information technology in libraries.
- PROLIB-ODL, Open Distance Learning in Public Libraries- A study carried out by CERLIM, Centre for Research in Library and Information Management
- Open Distance Learning now on the Agenda for Public Libraries - Summary Report on the Workshop held in Luxembourg on 6 November 1995
- Educational Multimedia Task Force- Educational and Cultural products and services accessible via television sets or computers set up on the initiative of Commissioners Edith Cresson and Martin Bangemann.
- Education in the Information Society- Projects and other initiatives promoted in Europe in the field of Education in the Information Society
- Fifth Framework Discussion- Technologies for knowledge and skills acquisition: Proposal for a research agenda. Draft for large scale consulting, October 1997. This preparatory draft addresses distance learning in some detail
Internet training and resources
- Distance Learning in Aarhus public libraries
- Internet Guides, Tutorials and Training Information- An intresting Web page provided by the US Library of Congress listing sites offering online courses, tutorials and Internet resources
- Internettjenester - en interaktiv innføring - A distance-learning guide to the Internet (in Norwegian only)
- IT i Biblioteket - A course coordinated by DIK-förbundet for Swedish librarians wishing to make use of IT tools
- LEO - Librarians and Educators Online provides Internet training, World Wide Web home page design, and consulting services for schools, libraries, and other groups
- NNC- Nordic Net Centre, Sweden, offers an Internet assistance tool together with an interesting list of training resources
- Tools for the Internet Trainer - Internet training materials provided by the InterNIC and the Library and LITA (Information Technology Association), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Web links to library schools - Tom Wilson of Sheffield University has compiled an excellent world list of departments and schools of information studies, information management and information systems
- A Collection of distance education resources- An interesting page mantained by Jörgen Eriksson from the Lund University Electronic Library, Sweden.
- Distance Education- Organisations, journals, newsletters and articles on distance learning created and is maintained by Dr Renee M. Eggers, US.
- Distance Education Program- Distance learning courses, library support services and much more information offered by the University of Louisville' School of Education, Louisville, USA.
- Distance Education Resource Sites - A massive site provided by the Office of Continuing Education from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, US.
- Italian page on Distance Learning - A site in Italian compiled by FITA - Confindustria of Rome, devoted to distance learning on the Internet.
- Journal of Library Services for Distance Education(JSLDE), a scholarly e-journal providing research/information services to students enrolled in formal post-secondary distance education. The journal is offered online by the State University of West Georgia, US.
- Open Learning and the Internet in the Public Library - A report presenting the findings of the South Ayrshire Libraries Open Learning and the Internet project which took place between September 1997 and October 1998. The objective of the project was to demonstrate how open learning materials available on the Internet could be integrated with the provision of local open learning resources to provide an enhanced learning environment in the public library.
- Project Earl- A comprehensive UK Web site providing information on schools, training courses, careers and media related to distance learning.
- The Comprehensive List of Distance Education Resources- compiled by Tom Ramage, Education Coordinator at the University of Illinois, US.
- UWE Library Distance Learning Initiative - The University of the West of England provides in this site services and support for their students taking distance learning courses.
- CKC- Center for Knowledge Communication, a research group in the Departement of Computer Science (University of Massachussetts), carrying out research related to the teaching, training and Educational System field.
- Institute for Computer Based Learning - Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh : research and development in the area of advanced learning technology; a list of interesting subject-related projects is provided.
- Institute for Learning Technologies - This Columbia University instutute strives to advance the role of computers and other information technologies in education and society. A list of school-based projects is provided.
- New Library: the People's Networkpublished on 15 October 97 was commissioned from the Library and Information Commission by the UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport. It sets out ambitious plans for networking public libraries over the next few years and should be seen in the wider context of the consultation paper on the National Grid for Learning.
- The Learning Age - A UK consultation paper on life-long learning.
- National Strategies outlines evolving library-related planning across Europe with links to key documents, a number of which address the role of libraries in providing lifelong learning.
- Open Distance Learning Quality Council - A UK indipendent body aiming to raise standards in education and training, and to protect the interests of students, through an accreditation scheme for colleges which offer open and distance learning courses.
DG Information Society
Cultural Heritage Applications Unit
smaller suppliers, in particular, do not have the resources or the inclination