Telematics for Libraries - Projects EFILA +
Updated: 22 NOV 99
| Project Number and Title |
|4012 - European Forum of Implementors of Library Applications |
| Programme/Action line
|| Call Topic(s)
|| Project Duration |
| FP 4/ Concerted Action
|| January 1996
|| December 1996
|| 12 |
| Keywords |
| Document access/delivery (electronic); Library automation applications; Implementors Forum; SR/Z39.50; interlibrary loan; standards |
Additional information is available on the EFILA web site . (http://www.ewos.be/fora/index.htm#efila)
- Support Action
- EFILA was a support action in the area of the implementation of open standards for library automation.
- Call Topic(s)
- Call topic 4: Creating and testing interconnected library services, integrating applications for at least two different library service functions.
- Project description
- The European Forum for Implementors of Library Applications is open to all parties interested in Library automation. The target group of the activities are be those organisations, groups, and persons involved in the implementation of standards in connection with library networking and automation. The aim is to attract the suppliers of library automation systems to participate in the EFILA activities. EFILA has been recognised by the North American ZIG group as a liaison partner in the development of Z39.50 which is to become the ISO standard for Search and Retrieve. Through the relation with EWOS/EG-LIB EFILA will participate in the feeding process of standardised profiles to ISO/TC 46 harmonising the profiling work with IFOBS and OIW/SIG-LA (ZIG).
- Technical approach
- A Programme Committee, with pan European representation, was established to advise on the activities of EFILA. EFILA met four times during 1996. Two meetings were general and two meetings focused on a specific area. Meetings in 1996 were planned for January, March, June and October. The main topic for January was European experiences with implementing ANSI Z39.50 version 3. For the October meeting, EFILA hosted the ZIG (Z39.50 Implementors Group) meeting in Brussels and in conjunction with this arranged tutorials on Z39.50, character sets, the combination of ILL and Z39.50, etc.
- The already existing discussion list (ca 130 subscribers) is continued. Every person interested in implementation issues can on request become a member of the mailing list. The Secretariat will maintain the list, the archives of mailings, and will actively search for relevant information and distribute it on the list.
- EFILA World Wide Web pages were established to give information on the activities of EFILA. Links to Web pages on projects and activities relevant to implementation of library applications were established. The secretariat will maintain the WWW pages. The aim of the EFILA Web pages is to create a common place for implementors where they can exchange information on their projects and find relevant information on standardisation activities.
- Key issues
- The globalisation of the information society and the development of electronic libraries puts a greater demand on libraries to create integrated systems able to act as a single system for the user. This requires the widespread use of standardised solutions based on internationally recognised standards. Implementors and suppliers of library applications need to become more aware of the existing standards and their opportunities to influence the development of these standards.
- Impact and results
- EFILA intended to:
- make implementors better aware of standards;
- create a forum for implementors where they can exchange information and their experiences, create contacts with other implementors, and give input to the library standardisers;
- organise meetings where implementors can meet with experts and discuss relevant topics in working groups;
- providee feedback to the profiling work of EWOS and other regional workshops.
- Documentation can be obtained from the contact below and from http://www.ewos.be/fora/index.htm#efila .
| Name of Institution/Organisation
|| Postal Code / City
|| Country |
| Danish Standards Association
|| DK - 2900 HELLERUP
|| DK |
| Title, First Name, Name
|| Mr. Klaus SONDERGAARD
|| Baunegaardsveg 73 |
|| +45-39 96 61 01
|| +45-39 96 61 02 |
| E-mail 1:
|| E-mail 2:
| Name of Institution/Organisation
|| Role |
|| X |
|Active participants (examples)
| British Library
| BRODD Oslo
| Deutsches Bibliotheksinstitut
| Fischer & Lorenz
| Universitätsbibliothek Karlsruhe
| Dansk Biblioteks Center
| Koninklijke Bibliotheek
| Intecs Sistemi
The SIGs work via the Web for dissemination and a moderated EFILA list