Community Research and Development Information Service - CORDIS

Genetic Events in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

Contributed by: UTM, Titu Maiorescu University, Bucharest

In recent years was proved that the best technique in the investigation of malignant lymphocytes is the.
Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). In the literature it was registered, in previous years, on an international study, conducted on 109 cases of CLL, 79 cases (72.5%) who had more genetic abnormalities: the remaining 30 cases (27.5%) had normal results, using FISH. The presence of del(11q), del(17p), mutated TP53, and unmutated IGHV typically predict for poor survival.


Genetic Events in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Genetic Events in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

In the normal cells, suppressor P-53 gene, coding proteins that bind to DNA and regulate the expression of genes, prevents the genome mutations. A mutation of the gene P-53 will inevitably lead to a process of carcinogenesis in which the cell divides endlessly. In recent years was proved that the best technique in the investigation of malignant lymphocytes, in the processes of deletions and rearrangements of chromosome genes, is the Florescence in situ Hybridization, (FISH) technique and this method is used as an alternative to chromosomal banding, a conventional application in molecular medicine, (Nelson BP et al, 2007).

In the literature of field in molecular medicine, it was registered, in previous years, on an international study,
conducted on 109 cases of CLL, 79 cases (72.5%) who had more genetic abnormalities of p53 gene; the remaining
30 cases (27.5%) had normal results, using the same technique, FISH. The majority of patients, 67% (53.79) had a single anomaly and the remaining 33% had two or three genetic abnormalities. The chromosomes 14q32-17p
translocation in LLC genome, which appeared similar to some common, had demonstrated abnormalities
involving IGH gene, located on chromosome14q32, (Zerdoumi A et al, 2015).

Identification of P53 gene mutations in regions of 17 chromosome of hematological neoplasm is important
because these mutations have an impact on the clinical course of patients and requires an attitude adjustment
therapeutic adequate. Restoring function to p53 can induce lymphoma, apoptosis. Recent, endogenous somatic
gene therapy research is a basic of trial clinical and therapeutic trial.

The DNA, (either integrated into the genome or episome external plasmid) is used to treat a disease arising as a result of mutations in chromosomal regions. In the past few years, this method has been included in the treatment of CLL, acute lymphocytic leukemia, [ALL], or multiple myeloma [MM], (Jump up^ "Gene Therapy". ama-assn.org. 4 April 2014. Retrieved22 March 2015).

The frequencies of P53 gene mutations in CLL can be categorized as individual biomarkers in proteomic and genomic profile for this type of leukemia that can be implemented in targeted patient treatment, within personalized medicine.
Keywords: Gene P53, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Apoptosis, Fluorescence in situ Hybridization, Cancer.
Conference: International Symposium on Clinical Neuroscience: Clinical Neuroscience for Optimization of Human Function, Orlando, USA, 7 Oct - 9 Oct, 2016.
Presentation Type: Poster Presentation
Topic: Abstracts ISCN 2016
Citation: UDRISTIOIU A (2016). Role of P53 gene in oncogenenesis of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Front. Neurol. Conference Abstract: International Symposium on Clinical Neuroscience: Clinical Neuroscience for Optimization of Human Function. doi: 10.3389/conf.fneur.2016.59.00101
Received: 01 May 2016; Published Online: 07 Sep 2016.
* Correspondence: AURELIAN UDRISTIOIU, Emergency County Hospital Targu Jiu, Clinical Laboratory, Targu Jiu, Romania, aurelianu2007@yahoo.com

Contributor

Organisation

    UTM, Titu Maiorescu University, Bucharest
    Calea Vacaresti, Nr: 189
    7000 Bucharest
    Romania
    Website

Contact

Related information

Programmes

Countries

  • Romania

Keywords

P-53 Gene, Fluorescence in situ Hibridation, Apotosis, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Follow us on: RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Managed by the EU Publications Office Top