FP1-ENVPROT 4C - Multiannual research and development programmes (EEC) in the field of the environment - Protection of the environment -, 1986-1990
From 1986-01-01 to 1990-12-31| See all projects funded under this programme / topic
Previous programmePRE-ENVPROT 3C
Programme fundingEUR 55 million
Official Journal ReferenceL 159 of 1986-06-14
Legislative Reference86/234/CEE of 1986-06-10
To provide the information needed, in the short, medium and long term, to support implementation of the Community's Environmental Action Programme and to promote the coordination of national research activities at Community level.
AbstractPart of the first Framework Programme (1984-1987) under subactivity 8.2.: "Environment and Climatology", this programme constituted the core of the Research Action Programme (RAP) "Environment" (first Framework Programme) and was closely connected with environmental research at the Joint Research Centre as well as with other Community research programmes.
- Health effects of pollutants;
- Ecological effects of pollutants, i.e. effects on non-human targets;
- Assessment of chemicals and, in particular, improvement of the methodology for testing;
- Air quality, including the effects of air pollution on terrestrial (e.g. forests) and aquatic ecosystems;
- Water quality: protection of the freshwater, estuarine and marine environment;
- Soil quality: an integrated approach to protecting the soil;
- Noise research;
- Ecosystem research: the acquisition of basic knowledge on the dynamics of ecosystems and their vulnerability;
- Waste research, emphasizing treatment of toxic and dangerous waste and recycling;
- Reduction of pollution through "clean" and advanced abatement technologies;
- Scientific basis of environmental legislation and management.
- Air-pollution effects on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems;
- Physico-chemical behaviour of atmospheric pollutants;
- Organic micropollutants in the aquatic environment;
- Treatment and use of organic sludge and liquid agricultural
- Coastal benthic ecology;
- Indoor-air quality and its impact on man;
- Protection of species;
- New technologies and environmental protection:
. Environmental impact of new technological processes;
. Environmental impact of new technological products;
. Use of new technologies for environmental protection;
- Compatibility of fibres with the environment and health.
ImplementationThe Commission, assisted by the Management and Coordination Advisory Committee (CGC) on the Environment and Climatology, was responsible for implementing the programme, partly by contract research and coordination and partly by concerted actions. Provision was also made for the possibility of extending laboratory and field research to evaluation and assessment with the aim of establishing a consolidated scientific basis for environmental legislation and management.
The Council could conclude agreements with third States, in particular those involved in European cooperation in the field of scientific and technical research (COST), with a view to associating them with the programme.
The programme was reviewed at the end of the second year. The participating Member States and the Community regularly exchanged information on the execution of research involving concerted actions. Following completion of the programme and after consulting the CGC, the Commission sent to the Member States and the European Parliament a summary report on the implementation and results of these actions.
Record Number: 26 / Last updated on: 2014-03-05