IC-SCICOOP-AUS C - Agreement relating to scientific and technological cooperation between the European Community and Australia
From 1994-07-27| See all projects funded under this programme / topic
Official Journal ReferenceL 188 of 1994-07-22
Legislative Reference94/457/CE of 1994-06-27
To encourage and facilitate cooperation between the European Community and Australia in fields of common interest where the Parties are supporting research and developments activities to advance science and technology.
AbstractThis cooperation Agreement establishes a formal framework under which cooperation activities between the European Community and Australia in science and technology can be implemented. Prior to this, cooperation was conducted under the Arrangement for Cooperation in Science and Technology signed by the Australian Government and the European Commission in November 1986. Under the this Arrangement, provisions were made for the mutual exchange of information arising from research in specific fields.
SubdivisionNo details are available for this section.
ImplementationThe Agreement was ratified by the European Community and Australia during the summer of 1994. It is administered by a Joint Science and Technology Cooperation Committee (JSTCC) which is composed of representatives of the European Commission and South Africa. Meetings of the JSTCC are held alternately in the European Community and South Africa at mutually agreed times (generally once per annum).
Cooperation under the Agreement is restricted to activities in the following areas:
- Medical and health research;
- Marine science and technology;
- Information technologies;
- Communication technologies.
Cooperation activities may include the following:
- Participation of persons and legal entities, research institutes, and other bodies (including the Parties themselves), in research projects conducted by the Community or Australia;
- Shared use of research facilities;
- Visits and exchanges of scientists, engineers and other appropriate personnel for the purposes of participating in seminars, symposia and workshops;
- Exchange of information such as practices, laws, regulations and programmes relevant to cooperation under this Agreement;
- Other activities, as may be mutually determined by the above-mentioned Joint Science and Technology Cooperation Committee, in accordance with the applicable policies and programmes of the two Parties.
Cooperation activities are subject to the availability of funds and to the applicable laws and regulations, policies and programmes of the European Community and Australia.
Joint research projects are implemented under the Agreement following the establishment of a "Joint technology management plan" (JTMP). This is a specific contract to be concluded between the participants in a research project which defines their respective rights and responsibilities. The JTMP also covers issues relating to intellectual property rights, addressing such issues as: ownership, protection, user rights for research and development purposes, exploitation and dissemination, including arrangements for joint publication, the rights and obligations of visiting researchers and dispute settlement procedures.
Record Number: 617 / Last updated on: 2014-03-05