IC-FP5-SCICOOP-ISR 2C - Agreement for scientific and technical cooperation between the European Community and the State of Israel, 1998-2002
From 1998-01-01 to 2002-12-31| See all projects funded under this programme / topic
To stimulate RTD cooperation between the European Community and Israel at the level of the EC's Fifth RTD Framework Programme and Israeli research programmes covering similar themes.
AbstractThe purpose of the Cooperation Agreement is to establish a framework for pursuing scientific and technical cooperation between the European Community and Israel. In a nutshell, the Agreement enables Israeli research entities to participate in the specific programmes under the Fifth RTD Framework Programme and for Community research entities to participate in similar Israeli programmes and projects. This is an extension of the existing Agreement, from 1996, covering the Fourth RTD Framework Programme.
Cooperation in the nuclear domain is not covered by the Agreement.
ImplementationA joint committee, to be called the "EC-Israel Research Committee", is to be established to oversee the implementation of the Agreement. Composed of representatives of the Commission and Israel, its functions will include:
- Reviewing and evaluating the implementation of the Agreement;
- Examining any measures aimed at improving and developing coooperation between the two Parties;
- Discussing, at regular intervals, the future orientations and priorities of research policies and research planning in the Community and Israel, and the prospects for future cooperation;
- Ensuring the proper implementation of the Agreement.
Cooperation under the Agreement may take the following forms:
- Participation of research entities (universities, research organizations, industrial companies (including SMEs) or individuals) located in Israel in all of the Community's specific RTD programmes established under the Fifth Framework Programme (including the activities of the Joint Research Centre);
- Participation of research entities established in the Community in Israeli research projects and the results deriving from these projects;
- Regular discussions on the orientations and priorities of research policies and planning in Israel and the Community;
- Discussions on cooperation prospects;
- Timely provision of information concerning the implementation of RTD programmes in Israel and the Community and the results of the work undertaken within the framework of the Cooperation Agreement.
In addition to opening up participation in each others research programmes, cooperation under the Agreement may also be achieved by the following means: joint meetings; visits and exchanges of research workers, engineers and technicians; regular and sustained contact between programme or project managers; and participation of experts in seminars, symposia and workshops. Cooperation activities may be adapted at any time by the mutual agreement of both Parties.
Under the Agreement, Israel undertakes to regularly inform the Community of current programmes and participation opportunities for Community researchers. Those research entities established in the Community wishing to participate in Israeli research programmes and projects must collaborate with at least one Israeli research entity. Proposals for such participation are to be submitted jointly with the Israeli research entity or entities.
Community researchers participating in, or seeking to participate in, Israeli research projects will be treated in the same manner as Israeli research entities in terms of their rights and obligations and the terms and conditions applicable for the submission and evaluation of project proposals and for the granting and conclusion of contracts. In the majority of cases, project proposals should be submitted to: "The Office of the Chief Scientist in the Ministry of Industry and Trade" in Israel.
Research entities established in Israel participating in the Fifth RTD Framework Programme have the same contractual rights and obligations as entities established in the Community. For Israeli researchers, the terms and conditions applicable for the submission and evaluation of proposals and for the granting and conclusion of contracts under Community programmes are the same as those applicable for Community research entities. The general rules governing the participation of research entities in European Community RTD activities are published in the Official Journal of the European Communities No L 306 of 30.11.1994.
Under the terms of the Agreement, Israel makes a financial contribution to the budgets of the specific programmes to cover the costs of Israeli participation in the implementation of these programmes. This contribution is calculated on the basis of the proportion of Israel's GDP to that of the Member States of the European Union. Research entities established in the Community who wish to participate in Israeli research projects are required to cover their own costs, including the relative share of the project's general management and administrative costs.
The Agreement is to be established for the duration of the Fifth RTD Framework Programme (1998-2002). Either Party may terminate the agreement upon the provision of twelve months' notice. All projects and activities in progress at the time of termination or expiry of the Agreement will, however, continue until they have been completed. The Agreement may be renegotiated or renewed, under mutually agreed conditions, for future Framework Programmes adopted by the Community.
Record Number: 657 / Last updated on: 2014-03-05