OTH-1-2014 - Developing a public European environmental modelling suite for aviation
Specific challenge: The existing European environmental models for aviation suffer from proprietary rights which are scattered over private industries, research institutes and public organisations. This leads to a situation where policy makers do not have direct access to a complete and unbiased set of models to cover their policy needs. In addition, there is a lack of publicly available datasets and methodologies upon which comprehensive models could be developed or validated. This is for example the case for particulate matter from engines or noise from helicopters.
Scope: The proposed action consists of five parts:
· Based on a review of existing models in the public domain, design of a complete and open European environmental model suite for aviation to support policy makers in policy development and in international negotiations (such as in the framework of ICAO).
· Collect new data and establish associated databases for the gaps identified, this should at least include the measurement of particulate matter from engines.
· Enrich existing public models with new modules, this should at least include noise from helicopters.
· Taking into account the contents of the model suite, develop new methodologies that could be applied to policies that require an environmental impact assessment.
· Prepare recommendations for the development of the contents, the public ownerships and the management of the model suite.
Expected impact: The proposed action should contribute to the development of environmental standards for aviation at European and global level; the monitoring of the progress made in European aviation research towards the Flightpath 2050 emission reduction targets; the collection and monitoring of environmental data from the aviation sector required by European environmental legislation; and an improved understanding and a quantification with improved accuracy of the effect of aviation on the environment, including noise, and the wider impacts on the climate.
Type of action: Public procurement, open tender