HCO-09-2014 - ERA-NET: Systems medicine to address clinical needs
Specific challenge: The rise of genomics and the accumulation of large amounts of data potentially provide medicine with many new opportunities. With this abundance of different types of data has come the realisation that a full understanding of disease processes requires research that integrates and interprets data at the system level.
Through the seventh framework programme, co-ordination action CaSyM, health research funders, clinicians, researchers, medical educators and industry, have agreed a road map that prioritises areas where a systems approach is needed to address clinical questions and solve clinical problems. EU policy makers also recognise the need for systems medicine in the drive to make personalised medicine a reality (Commission draft report on use of –omics technologies in the development of personalised medicine).
Scope: Proposals should aim to coordinate national and regional programmes for research in the area of systems medicine. Proposals should implement a transnational call with EU co-funding, resulting in grants to third parties, with a view to support multinational innovative research initiatives on the research priorities identified in the CaSyM action.
Proposals should demonstrate the expected impact on national and transnational programmes as well as the leverage effect on European research and competitiveness, and should plan the development of key indicators for supporting this.
Proposals should implement other joint activities including training and additional joint calls without EU co-funding.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of a minimum of EUR 5 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
Expected impact: This ERA-NET will:
- improve cooperation and synergies between national and regional efforts, including mutual opening of national programmes,
- suggest new paths for clinical research aiming at delivering better prevention and more efficient and personalised therapies throughout life
- support the European Policy for the development of personalised medicine
- improve knowledge of health and disease focussed on helping clinical decision making
- make best use of national and EU funding in relevant areas of research and ensure better use of limited resources
- develop training activities and European curriculum for systems medicine
Type of action: ERA-NET Co-fund