HCO-11-2015 - ERA NET Collaboration and alignment of national programmes and activities in the area of brain-related diseases and disorders of the nervous system
Specific challenge: The challenges in the areas of brain-related diseases can only be met by an effective cooperation at transnational level avoiding the duplication of efforts, ensuring the availability of critical mass, efficiently using available resources, exchanging knowledge, producing more significant results of higher quality and impact, and sharing data and infrastructures.
Significant progress has been made in this respect by existing initiatives. However there is still the need for better coordination, data sharing and alignment of national programmes and activities in the abovementioned areas.
Scope: Proposals should coordinate national and regional programmes for research in the area of brain-related diseases by implementing a transnational call with EU co-funding resulting in grants to third parties.
Proposals should also aim at improved collaboration and alignment of national programmes and activities and will provide concrete plans for decreasing fragmentation, for data sharing, for promoting common data elements for the establishment of patient registries, for addressing hurdles for effective coordination, for involving stakeholders and relevant existing initiatives. Proposals should consider and may build on previous EU-funded projects supporting ERA-NETs.
Proposals should demonstrate the expected impact on national and transnational programmes as well as the leverage effect on European research and competitiveness, and should plan the development of key indicators for supporting this.
Proposal should implement other joint activities including training and additional joint calls without EU co-funding.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU a minimum of EUR 5 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
- Stepping up funding of transnational collaborative research projects in the areas of brain-related diseases;
- Identification of common research priorities and research needs, also taking into account developments on the international level where relevant;
- Establishment and/or implementation of a common strategic research agenda;
- Development and alignment of national and regional plans;
- Streamlined national or regional practices in organising research funding;
- Increased interoperability of national research programmes;
- Prioritisation of transnational research;
- Sharing of data and knowledge;
- Networking of infrastructures and databases;
- Contribution to the establishment of the ERA by addressing issues related for example to administrative hurdles, IPR management and different practices regarding resource sharing.
Type of action: ERA-NET Co-fund