ICT-15-2016-2017 - Big Data PPP: Large Scale Pilot actions in sectors best benefitting from data-driven innovation
Large Scale Pilot actions should address domains of strategic importance for EU industry and carry out large scale sectorial demonstrations which can be replicated and transferred across the EU and in other contexts.
Possible industrial sectors for Large Scale Pilot actions include (but are not limited to) health, energy, environment, earth observation, geospatial, transport, manufacturing, finance and media. Although Large Scale Pilot actions are required to have a strong focus in a given industrial domain, they may involve cross-domain activities where these provide clear added value. Large Scale Pilot actions will propose replicable solutions by using existing technologies or very near-to-market technologies that could be integrated in an innovative way and show evidence of data value (see the section "Expected Impact"). Their objective is to demonstrate how industrial sectors will be transformed by putting data harvesting and analytics at their core.
Large Scale Pilot actions are expected to exhibit substantial visibility, mobilisation, and commercial and technological impact. Proposals should demonstrate that they have access to appropriately large, complex and realistic data sets.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of between EUR 10 and 15 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
European research and development in data technologies produces promising results, but these are not yet deployed at large scale in a systematic manner. The challenge is to stimulate effective piloting and targeted demonstrations in large-scale sectorial actions ("Large Scale Pilot actions"), in data-intensive sectors, involving key European industry actors. The Large Scale Pilot actions are meant to serve as best practice examples to be transferred to other sectors and also as sources of generic solutions to all data intensive sectors.
- Demonstrated increase of productivity in main target sector of the Large Scale Pilot Action by at least 20%;
- Increase of market share of Big Data technology providers of at least 25% if implemented commercially within the main target sector of the Large Scale Pilot Action;
- Doubling the use of Big Data technology in the main target sector of the Large Scale Pilot Action;
- Leveraging additional target sector investments, equal to at least the EC investment;
- At least 100 organizations participating actively in Big Data demonstrations (not necessarily as partners of the projects).