LCA DATIMProject reference: 267496
Funded under :
Life Cycle Assessment database improvement
Total cost:EUR 150 000
EU contribution:EUR 112 500
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2009-02See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
"The overall goal of the LCA DATIM project is to set up an improved applicable, operational and customised LCA database for the aerospace sector to generate datasets according to the needs of the aerospace industry, which represents a major benefit for the Eco-Design project partners and the CLEAN SKY consortium. The LCA DATIM project will guarantee to be in line with state-of-the-art EC regulations and the common format, namely the ELCD (European Reference Life Cycle Database) format.
The LCA DATIM project proposal has been developed to fill the gap of analysing current and future systems in the aerospace sector in a consistent database. The project aims to provide the background data and datasets for the CLEAN SKY Eco-Design project partners by analysing the current and future aerospace systems and selected parts in a harmonised and consistent way. This leads to the quantification of environmental benefits that can be achieved by analysing weak-points and identify environmental key parameters.
In the LCA DATIM project, the framework and foundation methodology is developed starting from fundamental existing Life Cycle concepts such as the definition of the functional unit and scope of a Life Cycle Analysis. The aerospace specific materials, processes and technologies are analysed related to ISO 14040/44. New developments already include the development of the new aerospace datasets and database.
For operationalisation of the broad Life Cycle Thinking (LCT) concept within LCA DATIM, user-friendly models will be developed, integrated, and refined to allow for a well-balanced assessment of trade-offs between environmental current and future aerospace materials, processes and technologies. The novel aerospace datasets integrated in a consistent database will as requested be fully applicable for the needs of the aerospace sector and to the Eco-Design project partners.
The LCA DATIM project will:
• apply and customise LCA to the specific needs of the aerospace industry
• set up an aerospace specific database by using existing background data of the ELCD database and the GaBi-Software-System and Databases harmonised and consistent in accordance with the requirements of the ELCD
• harmonise Eco-Design activities according to the ELCD system
• model and calculate selected materials, processes and technologies of current and future aerospace systems
• actively collaborate, transfer and secure significant key findings to the Eco-Design project partners
• benchmark LCA of current and future aerospace system (materials, processes and technology) and deliver greater community understanding and acceptance of the benefits of LCA in the aerospace sector, leading to increased political acceptance and commitment
In the context of the project and the progress that will be achieved, the expected results of LCA DATIM are a starting point of the Life Cycle Thinking in the aerospace sector and could be expanded based on this framework."
EU contribution: EUR 112 500
Tel.: +49 711 489999 22
Fax: +49 711 489999 11