NANO_GUARDProject reference: 269138
Funded under :
Fullerene-based systems for oxidative inactivation of airborne microbial pathogens
Total cost:EUR 844 200
EU contribution:EUR 844 200
Call for proposal:FP7-PEOPLE-2010-IRSESSee other projects for this call
Funding scheme:MC-IRSES - International research staff exchange scheme (IRSES)
The main goal of this project is to establish a long-lasting collaboration and create a network of the research centres of excellence from Europe and Third Countries aiming at development of the Fullerene-based systems for oxidative inactivation of airborne microbial pathogens.
This goal will be achieved by undertaken of joint research activities via collaboration of a multidisciplinary consortium in molecular microbiology, virology, health care, environmental physics, green chemistry and material science, facilitated by individual mobility of the researchers between Europe and Third Countries.
The main research objectives of the proposal are:
• To elaborate novel fullerene-based composites in form of thin and thick films, membranes and individual fullerene molecules imbedded in 3-D porous matrixes.
• To evaluate the ability of the fullerene-based materials of different morphology to produce singled oxygen under Solar irradiation.
• To evaluate the performance of the elaborated C60– based oxidative systems to inactivate the microbial pathogens — bacteria, viruses, fungi, mold spores.
• To design and elaborate the lab-scale fullerene-based oxidative system Prototypes to be submitted to a tough testing of the performance criteria towards airborne pathogens inactivation in air-conditioning installations.
Other objectives of the proposed collaboration are aimed at:
• increasing individual mobility and career prospects of each person involved;
• facilitating transfer of knowledge between research groups involved via exchange visits;
• providing training opportunities for early stage researchers;
• disseminating results of the exchange activities;
The main expected scientific results:
• Novel fullerene–based composites with optimal system design and high antimicrobial/ antiviral performance under Solar irradiation.
• Prototype system to be submitted to a tough testing of airborne pathogens inactivation in air-conditioning installations
EU contribution: EUR 347 400
Campus de Caparica, Quinta da Torre S/N
Tel.: +351 21 2948553
Fax: +351 21 2948551
EU contribution: EUR 142 900
TAGUSPARK AVENIDA PROFESSOR DR CAVACO SILVA 33 TALAIDE
2740 120 PORTO SALVO
Tel.: +351 21 4229094
Fax: +351 21 4229018
EU contribution: EUR 139 900
901 87 UMEA
Tel.: +46 90 7869797
Fax: +46 90 7866673
EU contribution: EUR 214 000
84105 BEER SHEVA
Tel.: +972 8 6472435
Fax: +972 8 6472930