Flight-Noise-IIProject reference: 277580
Funded under :
Turboprop and Propfan-Equipped Aircraft Noise Emission Model
Total cost:EUR 348 870
EU contribution:EUR 261 652
Coordinated in:United Kingdom
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2010-04See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
This project aims at delivering a multi-disciplinary computer program capable of simulating the
noise emission and propagation of modern airplanes powered by turboshaft engines coupled to
conventional propellers or advanced propellers (propfan). This document describes existing
computer programs (FLIGHT and FLIGHT-NOISE) that comply substantially with the requirements
of the Call for Proposals (Call). More specifically, the proposal has the following objectives:
• To produce state-of-the-art aircraft noise, emissions & propagation software.
• To validate the software with clear benchmark test cases.
• To provide support technical beyond the duration of the project.
The main project deliverables are:
1. The Software, including an “Airframe Module”, a “Propulsion Module” and “Noise
2. Database of turboprop engine performance (flight envelopes).
3. Validated prediction tools.
4. Software documentation, including user’s manuals (20 deliverables).
The project is expected to deliver benefits in other areas, such as:
1. Multi-disciplinary approach to aircraft noise and flight operations.
2. Flexibility in predicting sources of noise, noise perception, noise propagation.
3. Engineering advancements in the areas of advanced propeller noise.
4. Prediction of combustion emissions.
This project is proposed to compensate for the imbalance between the requirements of the aviation industry and the technology currently implemented in Aircraft Flight and Noise Prediction programs. In particular, noise propagation tools are currently unavailable to the industry.
EU contribution: EUR 261 652
OXFORD ROAD UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER OFFICE OF DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
M13 9PL MANCHESTER