EDCTP-PlusProject reference: 304786
Funded under :
EDCTP-Plus: Laying the foundations for the EDCTP-II programme
Background: The European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) was established by the European Union in 2003 in response to the global health crisis caused by the major three poverty-related diseases (PRDs) HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria and as the first initiative based on Article 185 (ex-Art. 169) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) aimed at EU financial support for programmes undertaken by several EU Member States.
Aim: The coordination and support action, EDCTP-Plus, refers to a programme of activities to be carried out during the period 2012-2014 in preparation for the anticipated second phase of EDCTP (EDCTP-II) which will be funded through Horizon2020 and thus not start before January 2014.
Methods: Activities will be undertaken to establish a strong and reliable foundation for a second phase of the EDCTP Programme, which is expected to have an expanded EU mandate and budgetary support.
The objectives of the project are:
• To develop integration and funding strategies through the mapping of and cooperation between national programmes and research activities to address the major poverty-related and neglected infectious diseases
• To enhance future cooperation and synergy with industry, like-minded organisations, non-EDCTP partner countries and other funding agencies and stakeholders working on poverty-related and neglected infectious diseases
• To strengthen the capacity development, coordination and networking activities undertaken by the current EDCTP programme in coordination with other organisations
• To increase awareness and profile of EDCTP, its achievements and impact, including through a high-level conference in Brussels involving political representation by all parties with an interest in EDCTP
• To improve and update EDCTP's strategic and operational implementation processes and systems in view of the expected expansion of remit with EDCTP-II
• To develop a robust evaluation framework for monitoring and evaluation of the impact of EDCTP- II.
Impact: The expected impact will be a maintained profile of the EU-Africa research partnership and a strengthened foundation to underpin and implement the EDCTP-II programme with an expanded scope and budget.
EU contribution: EUR 7 734 128
LAAN VAN NIEUW OOST INDIE 334
2593 CE DEN HAAG
Tel.: +31 70 344 08 96