ONECOATProject reference: 304994
Funded under :
Development of a polymer strengthening coating system for glass containers
Europe is the first producer of glass containers worlwide. However, various threats endanger the sustainability of this key industry: imports from low-cost labour countries outside Europe increased and more than 14,000 employments were lost in the European glass industry during the last 3 years. In addition, glass directly competes with other materials for packaging applications, especially plastics. It is cleaner, non-reactive, tasteless, chemically inert, fully recyclable and transparent but its surface is relatively brittle and prone to scratching which will result in premature breakage during the manipulation of the containers. Weight is also a drawback as an important percentage of the production costs from the food and beverage industries comes from transport of glass containers .
Most of the glass containers produced nowadays are treated with an organic coating after formation to improve its resistance. There is a great demand from the glass containers industry itself for advanced coatings that allow improvement of mecahnical resistance and weight reduction. OneCoat will develop a coating material and application technology for glass containers based on polysiloxane (silicone) water emulsion with the following characteristics:
- Competitive in price
- Improved 30% overall resistance and 25% higher resistance to scratching allowing for a 10% reduction in weight of glass containers and increase of returns cycles (>40)
- Highly versatile coating technology useful for different industry segments involved in the supply chain of glass containers (manufacturers, decorators and packaging companies).
- Application by spraying from water emulsion and drying of the material with speeds of up to 800 bottles/min in modern production lines.
- Compatible with the recycling process of glass.
- Free of VOCs during the application process and safe for use in contact with foods and edible products
EU contribution: EUR 452 448,7
VIA CARLO REALE 15
Tel.: +39 02 376751
Fax: +39 02 37675400
EU contribution: EUR 204 437
HARAMIDERE SANAYI SITESI M BLOK NO 322-324 AVCILAR
Tel.: +90 212 422 0514
EU contribution: EUR 204 734
EU contribution: EUR 13 338
CALLE MIGUEL VILLANUEVA 2 6 PISO PUERTA 3
Tel.: +34 91 4170457
Tel.: +49 89 1205 2728
Fax: +49 89 1205 7534
EU contribution: EUR 43 050
EU contribution: EUR 2 976,3
DAVIDSFOLD NORTH ARDBENNIE
PH7 3PT CRIEFF
EU contribution: EUR 22 016
ZI LES JONCS
Tel.: +33 03 85 323530
Fax: +33 385363092