GOTAProject reference: 323378
Funded under :
Greater Operating Temperature Alloy
Total cost:EUR 796 726,81
EU contribution:EUR 488 252,5
Coordinated in:United Kingdom
Topic(s):JTI-CS-2012-1-SAGE-03-013 - Extended operation temperature range for compressor structure materials
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2012-01See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
The objective of Greater Operating Temperature Alloy [GOTA] will be to select a titanium alloy capable of being fabricated into intermediate compressor casings, and enduring operating temperatures of at least 500 deg C in this service. Industrial manufacture of the selected alloy will be demonstrated, by the production of rolled rings; gravity cast and centrifugally cast samples; sheets, welding wire, and welded samples.
• TIMET UK Ltd., [TIMET] will be the Principal Participant, and will lead the Management of the project.
• Swansea University will lead the review of literature and prior industrial work. A candidate alloy (Ti+) will be selected based on this review, and on commercial and industrial factors.
• TIMET will supply Ti+ billets to Forgital Italy S.p.A. which will manufacture, heat treat, and sample rolled rings.
• TIMET will supply Ti+ casting stock to Deritend International, which will manufacture stepped section cast samples by both gravity and centrifugal casting, aiming to overcome the prior low ductility reported in castings of highly creep resistant titanium alloys.
• TIMET will manufacture sheet; welding wire, and welded samples of the Ti+ alloy. Significant process development work is required in this task.
• Swansea University will test the samples of the candidate to generate a database of mechanical properties for this titanium alloy in cast, wrought and welded forms and analyse the samples to rationalise the test results.
• The tests will consist of tensile; creep; LCF; and fatigue crack propagation tests at both room temperature and 500 deg C. Also, tensile tests will be repeated after exposure to air at 500 deg C for extended time period, to check for deterioration in ductility.
• TIMET UK Ltd., will lead the reporting of the project, and the Participants will disseminate the results through industrial meetings with potential end users (principally Volvo Aero and Rolls Royce) and through publications in academic journals and conferences.
EU contribution: EUR 141 000
B6 7UR BIRMINGHAM
Tel.: +44 121 332 5204
Fax: +44 121 331 1750
EU contribution: EUR 15 249,5
VIA G SPEZZAPRIA 1SEGHE
36010 VELO D ASTICO
Tel.: +39 044 5731348
Fax: +39 334 664 1755
EU contribution: EUR 62 332
FIRST AVENUE MILLENNIUM COURT
DE14 2WH BURTON ON TRENT
Tel.: +44 1905 825 500
EU contribution: EUR 269 671
SA2 8PP SWANSEA
Tel.: +44 1792 208 678