BirdStrikeProject reference: 307612
Funded under :
Investigation of Bird Strike criteria for Natural Laminar Flow wings
Total cost:EUR 799 120
EU contribution:EUR 599 340
Topic(s):JTI-CS-2011-3-SFWA-02-019 - Investigation of Bird Strike criteria for Natural Laminar Flow wings
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2011-03See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
The BirdStrike project aims to establish a validated bird strike analysis capability, which enables the SFWA partners to simulate bird impact on a CFRP leading edge for a NLF wing. This will be achieved by setting up a combined program of test and analysis to determine the extent of damage and criteria to be applied to analyses of leading edge panels for NLF wings.
The main scientific and technical work comprises six main research objectives in agreement to the present Call for Proposals (CfP) topic:
1) Analysis of bird strikes on flat and representative curved panels at various angles of impact, using an existing bird impact model that will be provided by the SFWA Partners.
2) Design and analysis of a supporting frame for bird-strike impact tests on flat and representative curved panels.
3) Manufacturing of an agreed number of flat and representative curved panels that include supporting stringers, sparcaps or other structural features.
4) Completion of impact tests at various angles.
5) Validation of analyses and numerical models.
6) Delivery of a tool that can predict the extent of damage in a representative Composite LE geometry.
EU contribution: EUR 120 240
EU contribution: EUR 124 500
PIAZZA LEONARDO DA VINCI 32
EU contribution: EUR 52 500
EU contribution: EUR 129 600
EU contribution: EUR 172 500
KALTHOFS PARK 10