FASTDISCProject reference: 323516
Funded under :
Disconnect device for jam tolerant linear actuators
Total cost:EUR 831 896
EU contribution:EUR 561 672
Call for proposal:SP1-JTI-CS-2012-01See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Clean Sky
One target of actual development activities for helicopter drives is the substitution of the conventional swash plate actuation based on hydraulic actuators by electro-mechanical actuators. In comparison to hydraulic actuators the jam of the electro-mechanical actuators has to be considered by a jam tolerant system design.
A possible solution is a redundant system configuration with two identical actuators at the activating positions. In case of a jam the failed actuator has to be disconnected from the drive in very short time by a fast activating actuator. In regard to the requirements no state-of-the art disconnect device is applicable.
The development of the disconnect device shall cover two different principles:
- reversible system, preferred electro-mechanical
- “single-shot” system, preferred pyrotechnical
Therefore, the project work will be carried out by 4 cooperation partners:
- The Institute of Engineering Design and Industrial Design of the University of Stuttgart (IKTD) has research experience in and expert knowledge on the development of fast operating connect/disconnect devices.
- The Italian company Umbra (Umbra) is a highly competent manufacturer and supplier of components for the aerospace industry like ballscrews, actuators and EMA drives.
- The German company PyroGlobe is a highly competent manufacturer and supplier of pyrotechnical components and will participate on the “single-shot” system.
- The Swiss company phi Engineering has experience in methodical product development and will participate on a “single-shot” system beside pyrotechnics.
During investigations performed by the IKTD a wide range of possible connect/disconnect principles were reviewed and concept studies were carried out in this context. This represents a promising basis for a continuative research work and a successful development may be expected.
The experience of the industrial partners will ensure the realisation of the prototype considering the aerospace requirements.
EU contribution: EUR 216 432
Tel.: +49 711 685 60240
EU contribution: EUR 124 500
LOCALITA PACIANA ZONA INDUSTRIALE
06039 FOLIGNO PERUGIA
Tel.: +39 075 9710605
Fax: +39 075 9729960
EU contribution: EUR 112 200
Tel.: +49 8441 794 467
EU contribution: EUR 108 540
Tel.: +41 43 4431763
Fax: +41 43 4431765