HYDROSOL-PLANTProject reference: 325361
Funded under :
Thermochemical HYDROgen production in a SOLar monolithic reactor: construction and operation of a 750 kWth PLANT
Total cost:EUR 3 480 806
EU contribution:EUR 2 265 385
Call for proposal:FCH-JU-2012-1See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:JTI-CP-FCH - Joint Technology Initiatives - Collaborative Project (FCH)
"The HYDROSOL-PLANT project is expected to develop, verify and operate all of the tools required to scale up solar H2O splitting to the pilot (750 kWth) scale. The work will be based on the successful HYDROSOL series projects and mainly on the outcome of the current FCH-JU co-funded project, HYDROSOL-3D, dedicated to the provision of all main design specifications of such a pilot plant. HYDROSOL-PLANT comes thus as the natural continuation of such an effort for CO2-free hydrogen production in real scale. The main objectives of HYDROSOL-PLANT are to:
• Define all key components and aspects necessary for the erection and operation of a 750 kWth solar plant for H2O splitting (heliostat field, solar reactors, overall process monitoring and control, feedstock conditioning, etc.)
• Develop tailored heliostat field technology (field layout, aiming strategies, monitoring and control software) that enables accurate temperature control of the solar reactors.
• Scale-up the HYDROSOL reactor while advancing the state-of-the-art (redox materials, monolithic honeycomb fabrication and functionalization) for optimum hydrogen yield.
• Design the overall chemical process, covering reactants and products conditioning, heat exchange/recovery, use of excess/waste heat, monitoring and control.
• Construct a solar hydrogen production demonstration plant in the 750 kWth range to verify the developed technologies for solar H2O splitting.
• Operate the plant and demonstrate hydrogen production and storage on site (at levels > 3 kg/week).
• Perform a detailed techno-economic study for the commercial exploitation of the solar process."
EU contribution: EUR 623 028
CHARILAOU THERMI ROAD 6 KM
57001 THERMI THESSALONIKI
Tel.: +30 2310 498211
Fax: +30 2310 498190
EU contribution: EUR 778 368
EU contribution: EUR 493 461
Avenida Complutense 40
EU contribution: EUR 298 328
6827 AV ARNHEM
Tel.: +31 88 9491 306
EU contribution: EUR 72 200
ODOS CHEIMARRAS 8A
Tel.: +30 2310 750599
Fax: +30 2310 750250