WalkEGNOSProject ID: 277656
WalkEGNOS: a social web 2.0 mapping solution generating and leveraging on the brand EGNOS Certification Inside
Total cost:EUR 368 807,50
EU contribution:EUR 296 980
Topic(s):Galileo.2011.1.7-1. - Use of Galileo and EGNOS services for mass market and in niche sectors (to be mainly provided by SMEs)
Call for proposal:FP7-GALILEO-2011-GSA-1-bSee other projects for this call
Funding scheme:CP - Collaborative project (generic)
In outdoor applications a critical issue in using GNSS is the availability of trustable maps of routes and path.
Three ways were followed to face this issue:
1. Digital maps based on available traditional maps (very inaccurate, not up-to-date);
2. Survey of tracks with geodetic GPS terminals (very expensive);
3. Voluntary upload of tracks by users (not validated, not using EGNOS), like e.g. www.walkGPS.com.
WalkEGNOS sets up a solution consisting of:
• A web site, www.walkEGNOS.eu, to collect and share routes and tracks acquired by hikers using GPS.
• A post processing EGNOS/EDAS-based server to post-process raw GPS data sent by users, measuring the “reliability” of the data provided and evaluating tracks quality. Those data will be the core of:
o A section for leisure users with free tracks available;
o A section for professional users targeted at private/ institutional users requiring security, higher precision and/ or additional info.
• An aggressive marketing approach to foster the diffusion of EGNOS/EDAS concepts while generating revenues, by:
o Offering free low-cost receivers to institutions (e.g. rescue services) in exchange of a certain number of “walkings” to reach a critical tracks mass;
o Generating an “EGNOS Certification Inside” brand and promoting it via a web community;
o Offering internet ads, online receivers sale and value added and/or consulting services to professional users as a way to generate revenues.
• A built-in evolution towards Galileo with the sister site www.walkGALILEO.eu.
The database containing information on reliable routes will open new opportunities for high quality leisure/ touristic services and will be of great value for search and rescue operations. Organisations entrusted with the maintenance of paths will also profit from this database.
At the same time EGNOS will benefit from an awareness campaign making EGNOS and EDAS the centre of a social network including professional and leisure users
EU contribution: EUR 130 480
VIA PIER CARLO BOGGIO 61
Tel.: +39 011 2276414
Fax: +39 011 2276 299
EU contribution: EUR 56 390
EU contribution: EUR 56 880
VIA CIRENE 7
EU contribution: EUR 53 230
RUE DU SOLEIL LEVANT 26
31410 Lavernose Lacasse