VISOR BASEProject ID: IST-1999-10808
Video Sensor Object Request Broker open Architecture for distributed Services
Total cost:EUR 2 416 734
EU contribution:EUR 1 257 658
Topic(s):1.1.2.-4.2.1 - Concurrent systems
Funding scheme:CSC - Cost-sharing contracts
The VISOR BASE project is aimed at creating VISOR, a CORBA adaptation to the requirements of digital video monitoring systems applied to the development of observation applications with artificial vision functionality. The VISOR architecture will include a set of CORBA-compliant classes to define the VISOR interface and a digital video object-based broker implementation. As examples of VISOR-compliant video sensors, a motion detector, a people counter, a number plate reader, a face recogniser, and a people tracker will be developed.
To validate the architecture three applications will be developed:
- The first application will be a basic digital video monitoring system;
- The second application will be a video sensor-based access control system;
- Finally, the third application will be an intelligent alarm detection system for surveillance purposes.
The work will be structured in three phases.
1. The first phase will be the specification phase. The work will focus on defining the requirements of the VISOR architecture (CORBA components, IDL classes and ORB), and the three complete VISOR-compliant video sensor-based applications. The European regulations on privacy as applied to observation systems will be studied and complied with.
2. The second phase will be the development phase. The work will be concentrated in developing the VISOR-compliant video sensors (motion detector, people counter, number plate reader, face recogniser, and multi-purpose detector and tracker of individuals), the CORBA-based VISOR open architecture, and the three complete applications.
3. The final phase will be the integration, assessment and evaluation phase. The video sensors and the applications will be integrated together. An evaluation of system features by professional evaluators will take place.
The project will generate the following products: VISOR open architecture, three complete systems, and the VISOR-compliant video sensors mentioned above. Products and systems will be exploited according to the Technology Implementation Plans put together by the participants. Dissemination activities will be structured around a VideoSafe User's Group.
- MS1 (month 4): VISOR-based basic observation system, access control and visual information gathering specifications available;
- MS2 (month 7): VISOR architecture definition completed;
- MS3 (month 12): VISOR v0.1 and VISOR-compliant video motion detector, face recogniser, people counter and people tracker available;
- MS4 (month 16): VISOR User's Group Web site available;
- MS5 (month 19): VISOR-compliant basic observation system available;
- MS6 (month 24): VISOR 1.0 version, VISOR-based access control and visual information gathering available.