DAIDALOSProject reference: 506997
Funded under: FP6-IST
Designing advanced interfaces for the delivery and administration of location independent optimised personal services
Total cost:EUR 25 407 343
EU contribution:EUR 14 697 445
Funding scheme:IP - Integrated Project
Mobility has become a central aspect of the lives of European citizens - in business, education, and leisure. Due to rapid technological and societal changes, there has been a bewildering proliferation of technologies and services for mobile users. This has created a complex and confusing communications environment for both users and network operators. Further development of existing technologies, and the addition of new ones in Beyond 3G (B3G) systems, will necessitate a rethinking of fundamental technological issues in order to create user-centred and manageable communication infrastructures for the future.
The vision of Daidalos is of a world in which:
- Mobile users can enjoy a diverse range of personalized services
- seamlessly supported by the underlying technology and transparently provided through a pervasive interface
- Mobility has been fully established through open, scalable and seamless integration of a complementary range of heterogeneous network technologies.
- Network and service operators start to make business and provide profitable services in such an integrated mobile world.
The objective of Daidalos is to develop and demonstrate an open architecture based on a common network protocol (IPv6), which will be a significant step towards approaching the Daidalos vision. The overall Daidalos objectives are to:
- Design, prototype and validate the necessary infrastructure and components for efficient distribution of services over diverse network technologies beyond 3G,
- Integrate complementary network technologies to provide pervasive and user-centred access to these services,
- Develop an optimised signalling system for communication and management support in these networks,
- Demonstrate the results of the work through strong focus on user-centred and scenario-based development of technology.
60325 FRANKFURT AM MAIN
84084 FISCIANO (SALERNO)
53757 SANKT AUGUSTIN
LA1 5QJ LANCASTER (LANCASHIRE)
15124 MAROUSSI - ATHINA
EH14 4AS EDINBURGH
LA1 4YW LANCASTER
1221 CN HILVERSUM
91193 GIF SUR YVETTE
W3 6BL LONDON
28903 GETAFE (MADRID)