IFATSProject reference: 503019
Funded under :
INNOVATIVE FUTURE AIR TRANSPORT SYSTEM (IFATS)
Total cost:EUR 5 574 675
EU contribution:EUR 3 000 000
Call for proposal:FP6-2002-AERO-1See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:STREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
IFATS is a revolutionary concept for a future air transportation system by adding as much onboard autonomy to the aircraft as necessary to fulfil the overall requirements of improved efficiency and safety of air transportation. The IFATS basics are:
- The aircraft will fly autonomously a pre-programmed flight plan using sophisticated on board computing and sensor systems. A ground operator will be responsible for the overall situation.
- Functionalities of the system will be flexibly distributed between the ground and the aircraft, relying on intensive data communication capabilities.
The IFATS approach: Driven by the assumption of an aircraft with a sophisticated level of autonomy, the necessary functionalities of the ground and onboard components of a future air transportation system can be isolated and analysed on their conceptual maturity.
The central goals of this project are:
- to define a technically viable concept of an air transportation system where aircraft would be operating autonomously controlled by a ground operator;
- to identify the difficulties to overcome to build such an Air Transport System;
- to analyse a procedure to migrate from the present situation to the future system;
- to define autonomous operation procedures, task sharing between operators, on board systems and an on board engineer (if needed);
- to determine the minimum requirements and functionality of the on-board system, to ensure safe operation in the case of communication loss with the ground control system;
- to perform safety analysis of the IFATS concepts and provide guidelines to certification issues.
TEL AVIV/LOD (AIRPORT)
PARIS LA DEFENSE
POMIGLIANO D'ARCO (NA)'