VEGAProject reference: 16565
Funded under :
Virtual Reality in Product Design and Robotics
Total cost:EUR 900 000
EU contribution:EUR 900 000
Topic(s):NMP-2004-IST-NMP-1 - Integrating Technologies for the Fast and Flexible Manufacturing Enterprise
Call for proposal:FP6-2004-ACC-SSA-2See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:SSA - Specific Support Action
The general objective of VEGA project is to increase the capacity, quality and scope of research at Product Design and Robotics Department (PDR) of Transylvania University of Brasov by establishing strong and sustainable research cooperation schemes with centres of excellence in Europe and major industrial partners in the regional and European industry based on a competitive research infrastructure. In order to achieve this strategic objective, three major operationalgoals are set:
INCREASED SCOPE AND COMPETITIVE RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE:
- the goal set for the end of the project is to pass from the mechanical engineering predominant research to the product life cycle approach via VR applications. This will be addressed through the creation of a backbone of four research workgroups, which will undertake the tasks of defining in detail the ST objectives of each topic and the creation of the research capacity. The 4 WGs are:
- WG1: VR based design and simulation.
- WG2: Virtual testing.
- WG3: Manufacturing and recycling
- WG4: Maintenance.
To this aim, the infrastructure will be strengthened to support the research on VR technologies applied in product life cycle software. From the current state of best VR infrastructure in the country, by the end of first project year, PDR will have an infrastructure at the level of the most competitive centres of excellence in Europe.
- TRAINING and MOBILITY of researchers: The aim is to enhance the research capacity through training of personnel in the general domain of Virtual Reality, Product Design and Robotics. From the size of 2 professors and 3 PhD students, by the end of this project PDR will include a strong team working on Virtual Reality applied in Product Design and Robotics with 7 professors and 12 PhD students and 3 postdoctoral researchers.
- INTEGRATION INTO THE ERA - more specifically Industrial European links and cooperation, partnership and FP6 projects.