MARQUISProject reference: 11258
Funded under: IS-ECONTENT
Multimodal air quality information service for general public [Print to PDF] [Print to RTF]
Total cost:Not available
EU contribution:EUR 1 500 000
Topic(s):AL1 - Action Line 1: Improving access to and expanding the use of public sector information
Funding scheme:DEM - Demonstration contracts
Current public and commercial services present, as a rule, "raw" data on environmental conditions such as air, water and snow quality, the water level, and pollen count. But raw environmental data are not self-explanatory. In order to be informative, they require an interpretation and a tailoring to the health, interest and knowledge profiles of the citizens.
In this context the MARQUIS project is designed to address the above problem by providing:
a) Cross-border information services that provide user-tailored analysis, interpretation, and multilingual communication of meteorological and air quality information for selected regions in the EU;
b) A detailed commercialisation model of these services for both private and public institutions using the Internet, mobile phone services, and the printed media as distribution channels.
The central information processing features of of MARQUIS' service include:
- Fine-grained local assessment of air pollutant emission and meteorological conditions using state of the art models;
- Analysis of the air quality data with respect to their distribution over time or space and their correlation with meteorological conditions;
- Interpretation of the environmental data with respect to their relevance to legal regulations, specific health and interest profiles and/or specific cultural backgrounds, a specific region, health-care, etc.
The central information providing features of MARQUIS' service include:
- "On the fly" generation of textual information using state of the art Computational Linguistics techniques in Catalan,
English, Finnish, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish - with region and culture-specific priorities being taken into account;
- Generation of graphics and tables;
- Maintenance of regional profiles with geographical and cultural characteristics as well as of individual customer login profiles concerning the interests, personal characteristics, expertise in the domain, and the information already provided by the service;
- Information delivery on demand and event-driven.
Barcelona V, Spain
Sant Just Desvern - Barcelona, Spain