MC-WAPProject reference: 19973
Funded under: FP6-SUSTDEV
Molten-carbonate fuel Cells for Waterborne APplication
Total cost:EUR 15 947 620
EU contribution:EUR 9 899 413
Call for proposal:FP6-2004-HYDROGEN-1
Funding scheme:IP - Integrated Project
The present Research Project is aimed at the study of the application of the Molten Carbonate Fuel Cells technology on-board large vessels, such as Ro-Pax, Ro-Ro and Cruise ships. In order to fulfil the main objectives, the project will be constituted by intensive research and experimental activities, in order to improve performances of these energy generation systems to allow an efficient application of them on board.
The MC-WAP Integrate Project has a series of main targets, strictly connected one to the other:
- the improvement of the performances of MC Fuel Cells and of their components, to allow an efficient, reliable and safe use of them on board
- the improvement of the performances of Reformer technology and of its components, to allow an efficient, reliable and safe use of it on board
- the achievement of the best integration between the MC Fuel Cells and the reformer
- the design, construction, installation on board and testing of a 500 kW Auxiliary Power Unit, powered by Molten-Carbonate Fuel Cells and fuelled by Diesel oil
- the definition and design of a new lay-out for one or more selected typologies of ships, in which the traditional Diesel generators for auxiliary power will be (entirely or partially) substituted by Fuel Cells systems (APU) fuelled by Diesel oil, mainly characterized by efficiency, safety and reliability and perfectly integrated with all other plants, systems and facilities on board.