WATCH-OVERProject reference: 027014
Funded under: FP6-IST
Vehicle-to-vulnerable road user cooperative communication and sensing technologies to improve transport safety [Print to PDF] [Print to RTF]
Total cost:EUR 5 909 472
EU contribution:EUR 3 315 000
Funding scheme:STREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
The WATCH-OVER project aims to address the number of accidents involving road vulnerable users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. This topic falls within the more general road safety problem that has been dealt with in the EC White Paper on EU transport policy for 2010, stating the ambitious goal of reducing road deaths by 50% in the next 5 years.
The project will carry out RandD activities with the scope to design and develop a cooperative system for the prevention of accidents involving vulnerable road users in urban and extra-urban areas. According in fact to IST strategic objective 2.4.12 To develop and demonstrate Co-operative systems for road transport that will make transport more efficient and effective, safer and more environmentally friendly, the system concept will be based on interaction between an in-vehicle module and users devices. It foresees the development of a cooperative system integrating low cost communication technologies, as an extension to autonomous sensor based systems, in combination, if feasible, with localization technologies, in order to increase the performances needed to cover the most critical situations.
The main objectives of WATCH-OVER are:
- to identify specific road scenarios;
- to select and to adapt the most suitable communication and sensing technologies for them;
- to integrate above technologies in the demonstrator;
Main innovation aspect will be represented by:
- the selection, the HW/SW adaptation and the integration of short range communication and sensing technologies for the detection and positioning of vulnerable road user relatively to the vehicle;
- the development of algorithms for the localization of the vulnerable road users module and for properly warning the driver about possible dangers;
- the development of a low cost and high efficiency cooperative system.
ORBASSANO (TO), Italy
NUNEATON WARWICKSHIRE, United Kingdom